Garage Project

James

Staff member
So I finally made it out into the garage and hooked up some lights. :banana:

Next step is building a bench in that corner and mounting those cabinets on the wall. This brings me to my question, what's a good height to make the bench? 42-44 inches? How deep? ~32 inches?

garage.jpg

James

Staff member
After some more measuring I think that ~40 inches might be better (I tad over the belly button). I don't want it to low as I don't want to be hunched over.

How deep should the bench be? Does 32 inches sound right?

Go 48 inches. Here is a couple of reasons. You dont have to cut down that 4x8 ft plywood or OSB, or what ever your gonna use. That and 4 feet deep is plenty of space to do a lot of things.

After some more measuring I think that ~40 inches might be better (I tad over the belly button). I don't want it to low as I don't want to be hunched over.

How deep should the bench be? Does 32 inches sound right?

How long are your arms? Put a peg board up behind it on the wall with tools and can you reach it?

Typical countertops in the house is 24.5 plus over hang makes it about 27. I would go 32 to give you plenty of counter space.

Go 48 inches. Here is a couple of reasons. You dont have to cut down that 4x8 ft plywood or OSB, or what ever your gonna use. That and 4 feet deep is plenty of space to do a lot of things.
Shorty would not be able to reach the back. :lol:

James

Staff member
I'm also somewhat restricted space wise. Plus 48 inches is pretty darn far.
How long are your arms? Put a peg board up behind it on the wall with tools and can you reach it?
I'd better not go bigger than 32. :thumb:
I would go 32 to give you plenty of counter space.
:thumb:

Mine are 48. But I have short legs with long arms. So mine isnt very tall but its 4ft deep and was easy to build because I hate trying to cut a straight line.

The correct height is 36"'from floor to top of countertop. I also just use a standard 25" formica counter top 25" deep with back splash from homedepot. It makes spills easy to clean up. James it's up to you but I always have used old kitchen cabinets..you can find them cheap online or at lowes with Knicks and scratches in them. They are usually less than what you can buy the material for... Or search Craig's list for used free stuff...

I second Mikey's suggestion. You can pick up damaged counter tops from one of the hardware chains for pretty cheap, and that will give you a nice, hard, spill resistant top to build from. If you don't mind spending extra, use all plywood, then get a piece of 18 gauge galvinized for a top. Then you can break up a back splash, and a small "V" on the front, that way if you install it right, any spilled liquid, (or ball bearings) will not flow over the front, but be carried to the side, where you can put a little catch of some sort.

And 36" high might be okay for all you short fellars, but 42", to 44", would be more to my liking.:noidea: