Amatuer Future of motocross

James

Staff member
Slowly making my way through that thread, some good stuff in there. :thumb:

Couple things on what the OP said about adding a 350 class and how it'll bring more money to the privateers. In simple terms the sport has a set amount of sponsor money from within the industry. So adding another class/more riders will only make it worse as you now have more riders competing for the same amount of dollars. One thing I could see maybe helping keep privateer costs down would be adding a stock class where the only thing you can change is suspension. Which would have to be a consumer available suspension service and most likely a price cap. This could also give us a very competitive race.

Not sure how much a stock class would do to lower privateer costs though. From what I understand travel is the biggest expense. Which is why I don't understand why they schedule these events where you do nothing but crisscross the country. :bonk:

Couple things on what the OP said about adding a 350 class and how it'll bring more money to the privateers. In simple terms the sport has a set amount of sponsor money from within the industry. So adding another class/more riders will only make it worse as you now have more riders competing for the same amount of dollars. One thing I could see maybe helping keep privateer costs down would be adding a stock class where the only thing you can change is suspension. Which would have to be a consumer available suspension service and most likely a price cap. This could also give us a very competitive race.

Not sure how much a stock class would do to lower privateer costs though. From what I understand travel is the biggest expense. Which is why I don't understand why they schedule these events where you do nothing but crisscross the country. :bonk:

I agree somewhat with what you are saying but lets face it. Nobody goes to the races to watch the privateers. And privateers are not what bring the big sponsors so Privateers are not the focus of the sport. I think what they need to do is make almost every event like the monster cup. Change the format and put up a big purse. Also make the pits a huge party and let everybody in the pits 2 hours before racing starts. I think that will attract more spectators and in turn increase revenue.

But you can do anything you want to try and make the racing more competitive and bridge the gap between the top guys and the privateers, but the only return on investment that the bike manufactures see is in bike sales. And 10 thousand dollar dirt bikes is not helping the industry. Just my two cents.

I am unsure how I would approach this. I like the idea of a 2504t vs 2502t pro class and i also like the idea of a 2t only class for nationals....however its the local events that keep people racing. $40 for a practice day and $40 per class to race is a little serious... factor in that you need a newer bike to be competive and that bike also needs alot of maintenance to perform properly and safely and the season got really expensive..... local tracks need to fill gates, full gates equal better racing and so on and so forth..