Front Tires

Well for hard pack you can try the MX71 up front. I am looking at getting the 51 myself. I am running a a Pirelli Scorpion MX Hard 486 in the front on the YZ and it worked good out there and works well in the Dez.

Well for hard pack you can try the MX71 up front. I am looking at getting the 51 myself. I am running a a Pirelli Scorpion MX Hard 486 in the front on the YZ and it worked good out there and works well in the Dez.

Softer compound ???? Can you really tell the difference?

are those dot approved and will hold up on pavement as well as be a good dirt tire?

are those dot approved and will hold up on pavement as well as be a good dirt tire?
no they are not DOT approved. The Scorpion Pro is FIM and DOT approved and was rated #1 by Dirt Bike. And is used by a lot of the ISDE teams. That could be a good choice. ISDE has a wide range of terrain they run over.

Softer compound ???? Can you really tell the difference?
Softer compound makes a diff. If the side are soft and you are on hard pack, the side knobs can roll and cause the front end to wash out or the side knobs will chunk on you.

What is the difference between the 71 and the 51? I never know what to get as it seems no matter where you ride you encounter hard terrain and soft terrain. :thinking:

i ALSO LIKE TO GET A 100 OR 90 SIDEWALL VS AN 80 THAT A mx BIKE WOULD USE. Softens the susp feel a little and helps prevent pinch flats with the taller sidewall.

What is the difference between the 71 and the 51? I never know what to get as it seems no matter where you ride you encounter hard terrain and soft terrain. :thinking:
the 71 has more tread volume and harder tread to give you more contact on a hard surfaces. Almost like a Trials tire. The 51 is an intermediate tire with a more spaced tread in the center for better stability on straight lines. I am leaning more toward the 51 since most of the desert we ride is a more intermediate base. I run the 71 in the back because it last longer and does not chunk.

the 71 has more tread volume and harder tread to give you more contact on a hard surfaces. Almost like a Trials tire. The 51 is an intermediate tire with a more spaced tread in the center for better stability on straight lines. I am leaning more toward the 51 since most of the desert we ride is a more intermediate base. I run the 71 in the back because it last longer and does not chunk.

You're still trying to tell us you're an intermediate rider......:thinking:....:devil:....I'm not buying it! :naughty:

I ride lots of mining areas in S OH that are rock and gravel, plus sloppy mud and slippery clay. I think the Maxxis tire kicks ass in terms of all around traction and durability. The Vulcanduro tire is my second choice for the same reasons.

James

Staff member
The only problem I find with the MX51's (which I currently have) is that they tend to wear pretty quickly. :noidea: