From the latest Dirt Rider

"Rumors of minor upgrades only for the 2013 YZ450F might include one about an electronically controlled steering damper. The device mounted atop the triple clamp, will use an electronically controlled hydraulic damping adjustment based off the bike's gear selection and throttle position. This is common technology on high-end street-bikes and wouldn't be a far reach for motocross"

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but the further bikes advance (yes I realize that they are getting faster and easier to ride) the higher the price goes and the harder it is for the weekend warrior to compete, it wouldn't surprise me to see asian 450 mx bikes at 10k in a couple years, how in the hell is joe blow supposed to afford all this? better yet, how is he going to maintain it all by himself too? a lot of guys can't make the jump from working on a 2 stroke motor to a 4 stroke motor, whats going to happen when basically everything on them is computer controlled? :noidea: seems to me like this sport is going the way of road racing, if you don't have the bucks you're not going to be competitive.

or maybe I'm just old fashioned...........

Assuming that you pay list, by the time the extra charges and taxes are applied these bikes are already right at about $10k out the door. Get a KTM 500 today and it's more like $12k.

"Rumors of minor upgrades only for the 2013 YZ450F might include one about an electronically controlled steering damper. The device mounted atop the triple clamp, will use an electronically controlled hydraulic damping adjustment based off the bike's gear selection and throttle position. This is common technology on high-end street-bikes and wouldn't be a far reach for motocross"

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but the further bikes advance (yes I realize that they are getting faster and easier to ride) the higher the price goes and the harder it is for the weekend warrior to compete, it wouldn't surprise me to see asian 450 mx bikes at 10k in a couple years, how in the hell is joe blow supposed to afford all this? better yet, how is he going to maintain it all by himself too? a lot of guys can't make the jump from working on a 2 stroke motor to a 4 stroke motor, whats going to happen when basically everything on them is computer controlled? :noidea: seems to me like this sport is going the way of road racing, if you don't have the bucks you're not going to be competitive.

or maybe I'm just old fashioned...........
This is always a problem in my opinion. Not a lot can be done anymore to the actual motorcycle other than to come up with electronic gadgets that to me are just more things to go wrong and then you can not fix the stuff yourself. I like technology but to me it may be going beyond the call of duty on dirt bikes. I still do not see the need for fuel injection on a dirt bike. :thinking:

This is a very big problem to me... traction control, steering dampening... more things that take away from the skill set required to ride how a person wants to ride. The freedom of riding a motorcycle is taking a backseat to technology.The very thing that drives us, challenges us to be aggressive in corners, up rocky hills, down grass slopes, or drift a back tire on a desolate fire road is slowly giving way to building a better race team...

I do have one thing to say- This won't take away skills needed to ride. Say you race? Well this just means you go faster. As for woods riding, who's gonna bring their shiny new 10k dollar toy out in the sticks? not anyone sane...

I do have one thing to say- This won't take away skills needed to ride. Say you race? Well this just means you go faster. As for woods riding, who's gonna bring their shiny new 10k dollar toy out in the sticks? not anyone sane...
Woods bikes generally cost more than mx bikes :noidea:
A 2012 500ex-c runs $9500 msrp
A 2012 450sx-f runs $8800 msrp

LMAO i guess im not sane... i did exactly that... first scratch came from a rock in Arrowhead
Lets be honest, you and I both are most definitely not sane, and most other on here trying to say they are are dirty liers :devil:

But let's put it this way, 2 strokes from 5 other companies are still in production, all the while these tracks are getting gnarlier. Out here in the span of 2 years, our local tracks as well as the riders stepped it up, and the gap from 1990 to today was something else. I'm on a near 4 year old bike bought new for 5200 from my pocket, and in honesty, if I didn't have faith my bike could do what I want it to, then I surely wouldn't be where I'm at now. I wouldn't try half the shit I do on anything less that a 04-05. Where I'm going, is that bigger tracks need better bikes or the riders won't be as safe set. If I go big, I know 2 things, one, shit stains wash out, and 2 I am not gonna try on something that can't handle the conditions.