First ride of 2016

Generaly my first outing on the bikes is at the local track, kind of a shake down ride and if anything falls off or breaks, it's a 2 minute push back to the truck, that and usually the track is open before the trails as far as having thawed out from winter, well my daughter Becki started bugging me about hitting the trail as we've had a light winter, snow wise and an early break up, so I started working at least a couple hours a night getting the bikes ready, and we were planning on hitting sutton which is about 60 or 70 miles north of anchorage and the parking lot is at a higher elevation,the trails get as high as 2400' above sea level. But probably our favorite riding area, however the further north we went the lower the snowline on the mountains was. We called an audible based on the visual evidence and also some calls to some of our friends for reports on the sutton area, we had heard of heavier snow up higher on the sutton trail so we headed to Jim Creek in the Knik Glacier riding area, this is a sea level elevation and we were certain the trails would be clear there, but there are a few water crossings and the absolute certainty the we would get wet.
We got to the Parking lot and the first thing we couldn't help but notice was the wind, just guessing but I'd say about 30 miles an hour gusts, the second thing we noticed was even though the temp was reading at 47 degrees it felt much colder, but we got our gear on started the bikes and while they were warming up,got back in the truck, got a last couple drinks of hot coffee, then we were on our way. The first bit I was a little easy on the bike first because not only was it my first time out since October but also the bike (my RM) had not been run since July when it lost its clutch, but the new clutch seemed to work great, did not chatter, or grab as it did before it failed last year. We got down the way a bit to the first trail head. as we proceeded the trees sheltered us from the wind which was great, but shortly into the ride I was noticing that I was starting to breath heavier and seemed to be fighting the bike somewhat, I started to think holy crap the winter on the couch really affected me more than usual, but then I seemed to get my second wind, and riding seemed to flow and become more natural to me again. It was wet on the trail, some muddy rutted sections that could be avoided by going around them, other mud sections you just went thru, but rather than being water on a muddy soft base it seemed much firmer than I expected, but I continued on. We both got thru the first section of trail that really is just a fun means of getting to the beach, where we travel several miles along to get to the main trail that is our actual destination.
When we exited the trail and were on the beach, the wind was kicking up pretty hard there, me and Becki compared notes and she said she experienced the same shortness of breath and was struggling with her bike as well, before she too got her second wind and got with the flow of the trail as well......this made me feel better knowing a 24 year old had the same first ride struggles her old man had. We proceeded down the beach and I noticed two things immediately, first the dust and sand being blown up in the air made visibility very difficult, secondly, my 250 will hit close to 70 in good conditions, but here on the hard pack into the wind I don't know if I exceeded 40 mph wide open in 5th gear, plus it was actually dificult to hold on as between my forward speed and the heavy oncoming gusts I was being pushed back by the rushing air that probably was the equivalent of being in a 90-100 mph wind. I decided to back down a bit and make it easier on me and the bike, and I was in no hurry to get to the main trail, which is seperated by a water crossing named Jim Creek, it has some very deep rutted sections and some that are usually ok to cross as long as you with caution, I have drowned several of my bikes there many times, at those times I then perform "the drill" which is a process I've learned to quickly pump the water out of a bike and revive it, but thankfully it would not be needed this time as factors such as snow runoff, and precipitation can affect the depth we had not had much of this past winter.As we approached Jim Creek I proceeded to where I normally cross as I noticed some quads contemplating another area that typically is deeper, but I proceeded and it was not bad, the water got as high as the bottom of the carb, which caused the bike to bog a bit as the carburator vent hoses were in the water and caused the bike to run sluggish, I opened the throttle and slipped the clutch, which ensured the bike would not stall and I cleared the crossing. When I exited on to the other side, I noticed the free play on my clutch lever was excessive now and the clutch was dragging with the control lever pulled all the way in, the thought that my new clutch was failing crossed my mind as I was adjusting the free play back to where it should be, I checked the operation of the clutch after the adjustment and it seemed proper, but I was still wondering if I was going to have problems later. During this time Becki was checking out other crossings and actually found a better path, the water never reached the foot pegs, but your never to sure how much water is in front of you as this is green silty glacier water, to murky to se anything deeper that a few inches. We marked her crossing with a log for the return trip and proceeded to the trail head about a mile or two further.
We arrived at the main trail and once again, we were sheltered from the wind by the surrounding trees, even though the leaves have not filled the branches yet. But we were back in the mud and water again, however it seemed easy going, I kept noticing how there didn't seem to be a soft muddy base in the puddles on the rutted parts of the trail, then I happened to notice chunks of ice here and there almost at the same moment my bike dropped into a hole under the surface of the water, but I could not clear it as my rear tire was spinning, I stepped off the bike and noticed I was standing on a sheet of ice, so all the time we have been riding thru the mud holes we were sinking thru the mud onto a sheet of ice, pretty much getting thru these sections required finding enough throttle to keep forward momentum and lightly feeding clutch to regulate the power gently enough to reduce wheel spin ands keep the bike pointed forwards rather than sliding sideways. After clearing several of these sections I figured out the right combination of speed, throttle, and clutch to get thru upright and without using to much effort by not trying to steer a bike sideways on the ice. Now Becki seemed to have a little more trouble finding that sweet spot as she went down in the cold water several times, probably a half dozen times total, but even though cold and wet she carried on like a trooper on her litle KX 125 we affectionately call the Green Turd. I'd say we probably did another hour and a half on this trail before Becki started feeling fatigue, and said she wanted to turn back, but not before we got some good photo oppurtunities. I felt good at this point but I have to admit after we turned back I was feeling the affects of my first ride more and more. On the way back on the main trail to the beach, I still had not fallen yet, and was feeling pretty good about my command of the bikes on the icy muddy trail, I guess this got the best of me as I decided to switch lines in the middle of one of the mud/ water sections, lost it and dumped my bike an my left side in about 18" of water. Now I was wet and cold, of course my daughter could not help but point and laugh......I didn't blame her as I had done the same at her expense all afternoon. We exited the main trail shortly after this and once again were being blasted with the wind, however this time it was going with us rather than against. However being tired wet and cold we didn't really appreciate this fact as much as we were getting closer to a warm truck and hot coffee.
We got to Jim Creek and saw our marker, went thru the foot peg high water smoothly but cautiously, at which time Becki informed me that she wanted to cut the rest out the trail section back to the truck and just make our way straight back to the highway to ride it back to the truck, which we did. I started the truck and loaded the bikes, got my wet gear off and got in the warm truck to have my coffee and dirt bike doughnuts, at this time Becki was passed out from exhaustion. All in all I'd say we had a good first outing, no broken bikes or people. All I can say is I'm really looking forward to this season and hopefully warmer riding.

I am having trouble loading pics of our day but I'll try later.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg View attachment 28657
image.jpg

Basically lots of mud and fun

Last edited:
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sounds like you had some fun. Nice report :ride:

With a couple of the old timers on here goin' on about how nobody does ride reports anymore, I'll try to give my best effort, although my rides have gone from more challenging to more family orientated ever since my girls have decided they like the trail more than track. But I wouldn't trade this time with them for any of the mountain goat rides I have been on with my old riding buddies, and that's the truth.

With a couple of the old timers on here goin' on about how nobody does ride reports anymore, I'll try to give my best effort, although my rides have gone from more challenging to more family orientated ever since my girls have decided they like the trail more than track. But I wouldn't trade this time with them for any of the mountain goat rides I have been on with my old riding buddies, and that's the truth.
It is nice to see some pics and a ride report, I thought those things were dead. Enjoy the times with your kids, I seldom get to ride with my boy anymore since he is gone to college and involved with the Air Force. :USA:

It is nice to see some pics and a ride report, I thought those things were dead. Enjoy the times with your kids, I seldom get to ride with my boy anymore since he is gone to college and involved with the Air Force. :USA:

I enjoy the time with them as much as anything. Really fun to see them progress with their riding also, they have really come along the last couple years.

Sweet Ride Report :thumb: It has been awhile and nobody post them. I wonder if JAX will share his? I need to get out and ride and share my reports. I only have raced the last couple times out, so no pics to post. I need to get the helmet cam mounted back up and then I will at least have some video.

Anyways, good times and hope you get out more. :ride:

I enjoy the time with them as much as anything. Really fun to see them progress with their riding also, they have really come along the last couple years.
You got that right about progressing. I can not even keep my boy in sight anymore when we hit the desert, he has gotten fast and I am getting slower in my old age. The way I see it, I have been injured many times over 50 years and he has yet to go down hard and I don't want to deal with it any more. :prof:

You got that right about progressing. I can not even keep my boy in sight anymore when we hit the desert, he has gotten fast and I am getting slower in my old age. The way I see it, I have been injured many times over 50 years and he has yet to go down hard and I don't want to deal with it any more. :prof:
Come on Big Wave, twist that right wrist of yours...:smirk:

Nice report Steve. Give them girls a big hug from uncle Gary. I love riding with my girls in my old age. At least I can still out ride them.

It's funny, my girls rode exclusively at the local track for the first 8 or 9 years of their riding, and in the last 3 or 4 years on the trail they have improved and aquired so many new riding skills. I think about all the track queens I know who think clearing 60' jumps is what it's all about, well that and avoiding any puddles. Some of them tell me trails are for little kids. Then I think about how many of them "Pros" I've brought to brink of tears when I took them some of the places I go.

Generaly my first outing on the bikes is at the local track, kind of a shake down ride and if anything falls off or breaks, it's a 2 minute push back to the truck, that and usually the track is open before the trails as far as having thawed out from winter, well my daughter Becki started bugging me about hitting the trail as we've had a light winter, snow wise and an early break up, so I started working at least a couple hours a night getting the bikes ready, and we were planning on hitting sutton which is about 60 or 70 miles north of anchorage and the parking lot is at a higher elevation,the trails get as high as 2400' above sea level. But probably our favorite riding area, however the further north we went the lower the snowline on the mountains was. We called an audible based on the visual evidence and also some calls to some of our friends for reports on the sutton area, we had heard of heavier snow up higher on the sutton trail so we headed to Jim Creek in the Knik Glacier riding area, this is a sea level elevation and we were certain the trails would be clear there, but there are a few water crossings and the absolute certainty the we would get wet.
We got to the Parking lot and the first thing we couldn't help but notice was the wind, just guessing but I'd say about 30 miles an hour gusts, the second thing we noticed was even though the temp was reading at 47 degrees it felt much colder, but we got our gear on started the bikes and while they were warming up,got back in the truck, got a last couple drinks of hot coffee, then we were on our way. The first bit I was a little easy on the bike first because not only was it my first time out since October but also the bike (my RM) had not been run since July when it lost its clutch, but the new clutch seemed to work great, did not chatter, or grab as it did before it failed last year. We got down the way a bit to the first trail head. as we proceeded the trees sheltered us from the wind which was great, but shortly into the ride I was noticing that I was starting to breath heavier and seemed to be fighting the bike somewhat, I started to think holy crap the winter on the couch really affected me more than usual, but then I seemed to get my second wind, and riding seemed to flow and become more natural to me again. It was wet on the trail, some muddy rutted sections that could be avoided by going around them, other mud sections you just went thru, but rather than being water on a muddy soft base it seemed much firmer than I expected, but I continued on. We both got thru the first section of trail that really is just a fun means of getting to the beach, where we travel several miles along to get to the main trail that is our actual destination.
When we exited the trail and were on the beach, the wind was kicking up pretty hard there, me and Becki compared notes and she said she experienced the same shortness of breath and was struggling with her bike as well, before she too got her second wind and got with the flow of the trail as well......this made me feel better knowing a 24 year old had the same first ride struggles her old man had. We proceeded down the beach and I noticed two things immediately, first the dust and sand being blown up in the air made visibility very difficult, secondly, my 250 will hit close to 70 in good conditions, but here on the hard pack into the wind I don't know if I exceeded 40 mph wide open in 5th gear, plus it was actually dificult to hold on as between my forward speed and the heavy oncoming gusts I was being pushed back by the rushing air that probably was the equivalent of being in a 90-100 mph wind. I decided to back down a bit and make it easier on me and the bike, and I was in no hurry to get to the main trail, which is seperated by a water crossing named Jim Creek, it has some very deep rutted sections and some that are usually ok to cross as long as you with caution, I have drowned several of my bikes there many times, at those times I then perform "the drill" which is a process I've learned to quickly pump the water out of a bike and revive it, but thankfully it would not be needed this time as factors such as snow runoff, and precipitation can affect the depth we had not had much of this past winter.As we approached Jim Creek I proceeded to where I normally cross as I noticed some quads contemplating another area that typically is deeper, but I proceeded and it was not bad, the water got as high as the bottom of the carb, which caused the bike to bog a bit as the carburator vent hoses were in the water and caused the bike to run sluggish, I opened the throttle and slipped the clutch, which ensured the bike would not stall and I cleared the crossing. When I exited on to the other side, I noticed the free play on my clutch lever was excessive now and the clutch was dragging with the control lever pulled all the way in, the thought that my new clutch was failing crossed my mind as I was adjusting the free play back to where it should be, I checked the operation of the clutch after the adjustment and it seemed proper, but I was still wondering if I was going to have problems later. During this time Becki was checking out other crossings and actually found a better path, the water never reached the foot pegs, but your never to sure how much water is in front of you as this is green silty glacier water, to murky to se anything deeper that a few inches. We marked her crossing with a log for the return trip and proceeded to the trail head about a mile or two further.
We arrived at the main trail and once again, we were sheltered from the wind by the surrounding trees, even though the leaves have not filled the branches yet. But we were back in the mud and water again, however it seemed easy going, I kept noticing how there didn't seem to be a soft muddy base in the puddles on the rutted parts of the trail, then I happened to notice chunks of ice here and there almost at the same moment my bike dropped into a hole under the surface of the water, but I could not clear it as my rear tire was spinning, I stepped off the bike and noticed I was standing on a sheet of ice, so all the time we have been riding thru the mud holes we were sinking thru the mud onto a sheet of ice, pretty much getting thru these sections required finding enough throttle to keep forward momentum and lightly feeding clutch to regulate the power gently enough to reduce wheel spin ands keep the bike pointed forwards rather than sliding sideways. After clearing several of these sections I figured out the right combination of speed, throttle, and clutch to get thru upright and without using to much effort by not trying to steer a bike sideways on the ice. Now Becki seemed to have a little more trouble finding that sweet spot as she went down in the cold water several times, probably a half dozen times total, but even though cold and wet she carried on like a trooper on her litle KX 125 we affectionately call the Green Turd. I'd say we probably did another hour and a half on this trail before Becki started feeling fatigue, and said she wanted to turn back, but not before we got some good photo oppurtunities. I felt good at this point but I have to admit after we turned back I was feeling the affects of my first ride more and more. On the way back on the main trail to the beach, I still had not fallen yet, and was feeling pretty good about my command of the bikes on the icy muddy trail, I guess this got the best of me as I decided to switch lines in the middle of one of the mud/ water sections, lost it and dumped my bike an my left side in about 18" of water. Now I was wet and cold, of course my daughter could not help but point and laugh......I didn't blame her as I had done the same at her expense all afternoon. We exited the main trail shortly after this and once again were being blasted with the wind, however this time it was going with us rather than against. However being tired wet and cold we didn't really appreciate this fact as much as we were getting closer to a warm truck and hot coffee.
We got to Jim Creek and saw our marker, went thru the foot peg high water smoothly but cautiously, at which time Becki informed me that she wanted to cut the rest out the trail section back to the truck and just make our way straight back to the highway to ride it back to the truck, which we did. I started the truck and loaded the bikes, got my wet gear off and got in the warm truck to have my coffee and dirt bike doughnuts, at this time Becki was passed out from exhaustion. All in all I'd say we had a good first outing, no broken bikes or people. All I can say is I'm really looking forward to this season and hopefully warmer riding.

I am having trouble loading pics of our day but I'll try later.

View attachment 28658 View attachment 28659 View attachment 28660 View attachment 28657
View attachment 28662

Basically lots of mud and fun

Even me huh?
Can't say I blame you one bit!!!