Fcr Engine And Suspension. Oh

(Ed. note- I race moto, 250B and schoolboy. 135lbs, 5'8")
Alright guy, with the crow canyon ride closing in, and my shock leaking, she finally blew. I called up FCR and took my bike to East Palestine today to have the suspension fully rebuilt and serviced. I never trust leaving my bike with anyone, especially mechanics but these guys are a bit different. Raw moto, they ride and race and get your background. When I got there, the shop was a small set up, very small, but easy to find. I dropped the bike out of the back of the truck and pushed it in, where they knew me and had a stand with my name awaiting. I filled out the info and they ran down all the questions. I go to pick me ride up crisp tomorrow afternoon, although, scheduled appointments, they can do it as you wait. I'm having the following done

-FRONT FORKS (Kayaba SSS)
seals
anti friction oil
new springs
triple clamp height set
clickers professionally set
bushings

-REAR SHOCK
seals
anti friction oil
clickers pro set
race sag set
bushings

-Other-
They are setting me up with some fork leg decals and front fender arches on the bike when I arrive.

Tomorrow I go in to have everything dialed in perfectly and pick up the bike. Running costs are in the 350-$400 range with revalving hitting 7. I will shoot you guys the first impression tomorrow, and come Monday how testing goes.
DSC1246-XL.jpgDSC1272-XL.jpgDSC4689-XL.jpg

James

Staff member
clickers professionally set
:thinking: So if I adjust my clickers myself they aren't professional set? :smirk:

So are you getting a revalve or just service/rebuild? $300-400 is a little pricey for just a rebuild (unless they're throwing in a bunch of parts), they usually run in the $200-250 range.

Its gonna feel like a new bike JYD. with everything fresh you'll think FC did it..... :prof: remember every 20 hrs freshen that suspension oil up :thumb:

:thinking: So if I adjust my clickers myself they aren't professional set? :smirk:

So are you getting a revalve or just service/rebuild? $300-400 is a little pricey for just a rebuild (unless they're throwing in a bunch of parts), they usually run in the $200-250 range.
Well, they are going to dial it in better than I can do myself, then I can mess around with them. (Yes I made this mistake before) It's just a rebuild, but I am in need of new springs. They said they are probably doing bushings too.
Its gonna feel like a new bike JYD. with everything fresh you'll think FC did it..... :prof: remember every 20 hrs freshen that suspension oil up :thumb:
:thumb: I know, I'm so super excited. First ride on the suspension will be with you guys too down at Crow. I am looking forward to this!

So if I held a professional racing license and I adjust my suspension myself, does that mean it is professionally set? :noidea: If they are slapping stickers on your bike for some free advertising, I would think a little better deal would be in order. I am with Shorty on the price. I have everything done to my suspension (Minus springs and the Pro Setting) that you are having done and it only cost me under $200 and this is from a guy who use to race desert with me and had a Supercross team a few years back.

Either way, you are going to feel a huge diff on the suspension with just the stuff you are doing. Keep us posted on the ride.

James

Staff member
Either way, you are going to feel a huge diff on the suspension with just the stuff you are doing. Keep us posted on the ride.
Actually IMO if it's just a rebuild (changing oil, replacing worn parts) I don't think you'll notice that much of a difference. :noidea: However if the springs aren't for your weight and the sag isn't set right (along with the clickers being way off), it will make a decent change if you fix those issues. :thumb:
Well, they are going to dial it in better than I can do myself, then I can mess around with them. (Yes I made this mistake before) It's just a rebuild, but I am in need of new springs. They said they are probably doing bushings too.
If your springs aren't the right rate, that's the first thing you should be fixing as you can't really "dial in" your suspension until that's done.

Actually IMO if it's just a rebuild (changing oil, replacing worn parts) I don't think you'll notice that much of a difference. :noidea: However if the springs aren't for your weight and the sag isn't set right (along with the clickers being way off), it will make a decent change if you fix those issues. :thumb:

If your springs aren't the right rate, that's the first thing you should be fixing as you can't really "deal in" your suspension until that's done.
Well he is changing his springs and if they are running the proper weight oil for his weight and riding conditions, he should notice something. I agree on the springs, If I am not mistaken, the springs in the bike should be right for his weight unless he is going lighter. Proper oil weight, levels and setting is the main thing.

Not sure how he is going to "deal in" his suspension, but maybe he will be able to "dial in" his suspension once he gets to the track..:smirk:

James

Staff member
I agree on the springs, If I am not mistaken, the springs in the bike should be right for his weight unless he is going lighter.
From RaceTech:

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.424 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: 0.45 kg/mm(stock)

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 4.95 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 5.3 kg/mm (stock)

So it looks like a .43 in the forks and a 5 in the shock.

Not sure how he is going to "deal in" his suspension, but maybe he will be able to "dial in" his suspension once he gets to the track..:smirk:
Having some brain/hand coordination issues. :smirk: