Favorite PS3 Games?

I convinced my wife I needed a PS3 for Christmas :banana:

My kids have a wii that I don't really have interest in, and my last console was an xbox 5+ years ago. I bought the system bundled with Uncharted 3, and got 1 & 2 packaged together with an extra controller. Gran Turismo 5 is definitely on top of my list, but beyond that I'm not sure what to look at... What are your favorites?

I convinced my wife I needed a PS3 for Christmas :banana:

My kids have a wii that I don't really have interest in, and my last console was an xbox 5+ years ago. I bought the system bundled with Uncharted 3, and got 1 & 2 packaged together with an extra controller. Gran Turismo 5 is definitely on top of my list, but beyond that I'm not sure what to look at... What are your favorites?
MW3 or BF3, or both

Why the PS3 over a Xbox360?

My main selling point to her was it's also a blueray player, so that took out the xbox right away. I have to admit I like the xbox controller better, but the ps3 one isn't too bad. I like fps games, but my main love is racing games, where I'll probably be using a logitech wheel anyway...

From the little bit of reading I've done xbox 360 is much better for online gaming, but if you want a media center type device the ps3 has the advantage. As far as games I think both of them have plenty to choose from. I'm blown away by the graphics on this thing.

As somebody who has spent a lot of time playing xbox online, I don't see Tue difference from the ps3. Love my ps3 and the online play is free.

As somebody who has spent a lot of time playing xbox online, I don't see Tue difference from the ps3. Love my ps3 and the online play is free.

Good to hear! I'm looking forward to trying it out, and I definitely like that it's free! :thumb:

I have a 360 at home, and a ps3 at college. overall I prefer the ps3. It is a much better media device, online is free(I think it even has a browser). Also, the graphics are a step ahead of my 360 pro, and I feel a bit better than the new generation 360.

My kids have all three systems. A Wii that my daughter plays, two redringsofdeaths (make that 3 of them if you count the one that actually has the RRD) and one Ps3 and while I could give two chits about any of them.:lol: I would say If I were a serious gamer I would prefer the PS3 over the other two. One,for the Blue ray which I use. Two for the fact that it comes with a built in wireless network card with the Xbox you have to buy one and finally three, if you want to play online you can do that for free on the PS3 with Xbomb you have to pay. Oh greedy Microsoft doesn't have enough money already, lets make people spend more money to play online with their Friends Here I got something for you Bill :finger:

James

Staff member
Good points, I own a 360 but I'm not a fanboy. I got the 360 Elite back when it came out, don't really remember why I got it over the PS3 (probably cost). :lol:. If I had to buy one today I don't know which one I'd get. I have a standalone Blueray player, so that wouldn't be a contributing factor. However the PS3 network outage and also the breach/loss of all account/billing info can't be ignored. :noidea:

Good points, I own a 360 but I'm not a fanboy. I got the 360 Elite back when it came out, don't really remember why I got it over the PS3 (probably cost). :lol:. If I had to buy one today I don't know which one I'd get. I have a standalone Blueray player, so that wouldn't be a contributing factor. However the PS3 network outage and also the breach/loss of all account/billing info can't be ignored. :noidea:

I thinks it is safe to say that you can't bitch about free too much, and while we pay dearly for cell phones, Internet, credit cards, bank accounts... etc. They are all vulnerable to breaches and downtime. As long as there are little teenage monkey spanking hackers out there...there will be issues with this, no matter the network or provider.

My main selling point to her was it's also a blueray player, so that took out the xbox right away. I have to admit I like the xbox controller better, but the ps3 one isn't too bad. I like fps games, but my main love is racing games, where I'll probably be using a logitech wheel anyway...

From the little bit of reading I've done xbox 360 is much better for online gaming, but if you want a media center type device the ps3 has the advantage. As far as games I think both of them have plenty to choose from. I'm blown away by the graphics on this thing.

you pretty much summed it up. If you are into having the social aspect of gaming (having lots of friends and chatting in partys while playing... Xbox is the way to go. If you play more singleplayer by yourself PS3 is the way to go.

also there is some mis information in this thread... the 360 you do NOT have to buy a wireless adaptor... plug it in and set it up to your router and you are good to go. I even have my 360 in different rooms and i dont notice lag either. Also the 360 does by yearly updates to the dshboard and they are always a improvement... now you browse youtube and all the social sites as well as stream netflix and i heart radio.

James

Staff member
you pretty much summed it up. If you are into having the social aspect of gaming (having lots of friends and chatting in partys while playing... Xbox is the way to go. If you play more singleplayer by yourself PS3 is the way to go.
:thumb: That's how I look at it. Heck I only know one friend with a PS3....
also there is some mis information in this thread... the 360 you do NOT have to buy a wireless adaptor... plug it in and set it up to your router and you are good to go. I even have my 360 in different rooms and i dont notice lag either. Also the 360 does by yearly updates to the dshboard and they are always a improvement...
The 360 now has built-in wireless?
now you browse youtube and all the social sites as well as stream netflix and i heart radio.
Also Stream ESPN events/games in HD.

PS3 at least still has Netflix which is the big one. :thumb:

also there is some mis information in this thread... the 360 you do NOT have to buy a wireless adaptor... plug it in and set it up to your router and you are good to go. I even have my 360 in different rooms and i dont notice lag either. Also the 360 does by yearly updates to the dshboard and they are always a improvement... now you browse youtube and all the social sites as well as stream netflix and i heart radio.

Your right, you don't have to buy a wireless adapter and you can plug the xbox right into the router, but like I mentioned in another thread not to long ago not everyone has their router in the same room as the XBox. So what now. I have two sons and both have an xbox in their room the router can't be in both places at the same time.

The 360 now has built-in wireless?

Cool that they finally got on board with the other games consoles, hell even the Wii comes with a wireless adapter built in. It is also free to play on the net and streams Netflix.