Don't Fence Me Out

I had left The Rez, heading home, when my phone rang, with an invite from old friends up in Tehachapi. Figured what the heck, made a right instead of a left and headed for the hills. Went through the absolute worst dust storm I have ever experienced (thought the truck lost paint) and gnarly crosswinds to make it into town, for a steak dinner and a comfy couch to sleep on.
Next morning left early to head down to the hills outside of Mojave, after a fun ride, I had a mission. Although a little cool, the winds were mild, unusual for Mojave, but I wasn't complaining.
Headed out on Aquaduct Road
The trail up to Barren Ridge is visible a little to the right from center, fun trail but I won't solo that one
15-3.jpg

15-4.jpg

I love the colors in the hills here
15-5.jpg

15-6.jpg

These are fun washes to ride up, but they always get narrower and narrower, until you have to turn around, which you can't cuz it's too narrow.....
15-7.jpg

No rattlers this trip, but a nice size Gopher snake catching some rays
15-8.jpg

15-9.jpg

Wouldn't want to go over this, about 20 feet straight down, after taking the photo, realized where I was standing probably wasn't very smart, moved quickly.
15-10.jpg

A while back, I posted about the new wind turbines going up west of Mojave. Anything to reduce our dependance on oil is a good thing, downside is I was sure a riding area was being lost, my mission was to find out if this was correct. Although the area is nowhere near epic riding, what is being lost is access to a Joshua Tree forest, so thick with trees, you can play hide and seek on dirt bikes. Other than an area east of Palmdale by county line, I know of no other area so thick with Joshua Trees.
The destination
15-11.jpg

What I feared was true
15-12.jpg

Miles and miles of new fence
15-13.jpg

15-14.jpg

15-15.jpg

These turbines are huge, no, they are freakin' huge
15-16.jpg

I had heard that private security patrolled the area, and are armed to the teeth, so far I had seen none. My entire ride had been legal, staying outside of fenced areas, the eastern edge has a row of new towers not fenced in, I took a side trail to get a closer look when I realized a white pick up heading towards me. Not sure if it was security, but I took the first turn west I could find and casually left the area, truck on my tail, I turn, he turns. Even though I had done nothing wrong, I decided it was time to leave the area, hit the old power line road and found fifth gear, truck still following. If I turned west, I would hit new fence, turning east would put me into the town of Mojave, but if I made it to the railroad tracks heading up to the cement plant, I would be safe. Dozens of trails on other side. The tracks are on a berm, cutting off the view for a bit, I crossed the tracks, made a quick right and snuck into the brush, parked behind a shrub and waited.
Not good photos, if you squint, you can see the cab of the chase truck passing
15-17.jpg

15-18.jpg

My awesome hiding spot, a red bike probably isn't the best choice.....
100_0266.jpg

I figured he would turn onto the pavement and head west, instead he crossed and stayed on the dirt, same way I was headed, but it didn't matter, lots of trails, gullys, etc. As long as air support wasn't called in, I was safe, and I doubt they have a helicopter. I fired up the bike and followed. Coming over a ridge slowly, I could see a truck parked. It's a narrow part of the trail. Again a poor photo, but I didn't feel like riding up and asking if I could take his photo.
15-19.jpg

I turned and quietly rode a gultch to a parallel trail, was thinking about riding west to take some photo's of security HQ, but decided the best idea was just to split.
I rode back to my truck, packed and left. Although it was a good ride, I realized that was probably the last time I would ride that area, a place I have been going to for well over twenty years. And what is in store for the future? As I drove through Mojave, I could see the parts for dozens of new turbines stacked up by the airport. Where will these turbines end up? Could Horned Toad Hills be next?
Sometimes progress sucks. Oh well, such is life.

i think this is where they might be keeping all the carcinogens.

for real tho... epic report .... i enjoyed all the suspense and victory. i did not however enjoy the fenced off part :foul:

Although it looks like you had a nice ride, you didn't have to be afraid of riding with me Sunday. The group moved really well, El Diablo stayed home, and I stayed from all the deep sand. :devil:

Nice report A2. I've been out that way once. And there were a lot less windmills then and no fence. I wonder what the guy in the white pick up would have done if you had gone up to him. Probably a big ass lecture. I wonder what a ticket runs. I heard they can take your bike from you if your on private property. Though I dont anyone who has had this happen to them.

Yea, you missed a nice ride on Sunday Mister Fashionista:P

Nice RR, not sure why he would be chasing you if you were on the outside of the fence he shouldn't have any reason to, other than just wanting to run a power trip on you. I hate when authority figures let it go to their head :rant:

Way to out slick him tho :thumb: did you do this to him :P :lol:

Great report A2. If you are not within the fences why is it illegal to ride? I see no signs saying to stay out of the area completely but then I have not been there.

You missed a good ride with us on Sunday but I see you had some fun on your own. :thumb:

We have an abundance of snow this year everywhere,up north america they say the wind farms will be hurting cause they don't need there power input,too much water power,like solar i dont think these type of farms are practical or good for the landscape.
It's ironic that the blm tolerates ugly wind farms and ugly ass solar farms,but goes postal on motorcyle activity.:foul:
I guess money soothes there hemaroids. btw nice pictures:banana:

Great Report A2:thumb: Those mountains in the background are all too familiar and fun to ride in. I guess I will have to keep those memories tucked away or :thinking::devil: I could try and make new ones.

Great RR...A little impromptu stuff is always a good thing...as for the security thing! Good idea avoiding them, who needs to get fined??? :devil:

Yup! Ran a loop a couple of months ago from the place that shall not be named to jawbone. Ran up and over them thar hills, through the snow and down some epic goat trails. Two of us were non-Plated and attempted to hook into the SMTS which I can confirm either no longer exists there or is 'misplaced' on the FOJ map... Anywho, ended up running slab for awhile, much to the dismay of
my green-stickered friends, until we dropped into a wash which lead us smack dab into the middle of the farm. As mentioned, they are f-ing big!

May tempt fate again this weekend!!