Dirtbike for adventure

Hello forumn.
Im wanting to get into dirt bike riding and am wondering what bike to get for my circumstances. Almost all of my riding will be with a support vehicle as i will be riding with a 4wd squad.

The terrain will be all offroad obviously ranging from just bushtracks to some of the most extreme 4wd tracks in AUS. Most riding will be anywhere a 4wd can go until i gain more confidence.

Im 6'1, 75kg. Money isnt a factor but dont want to spend a fortune. I do have riding experience and can handle a bike decently.

I am not really sure what bike to get, any help will be appreciated thanks?

Welcome to DBA Herbthedog.

Adventure bike.... get a make that is well supported in Auz, that way parts will not be a factor. I'm sure BMW/KTM/Husqvarna is probably the best bet. Anything else is just not going to carry what you need, be comfortable, and take you out in the bush as far.

Welcome Jakob,:wave:
I'm a wee bit partial to red bikes so how about an XR400R or an XR650R?:devil: Not all that lively though compared to the huskys etc but depends what you're after I s'pose! Surely being close'ish to Japan parts are not an issue?
On a side note! Why the hell are used Honda CR parts so expensive to buy before shipping costs from Oz?
They seem to be like triple the price of auk used parts which are already triple the price of US used parts:noidea:
Or just go BMW-
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjZrrO23PbJAMjNWRjBhmc9Lm4Mas6fxW

Last edited:
Whoa...seeing you recommend anything but a YZ, thats a first for me. But then I haven't been here long.
Welcome to DBA Jakob!

Well you have to understand the word "Adventure bike" and "Australia". If a YZ could do over 150 miles on a tank of fuel and could carry the necessary gear, than a YZ or WR Yamaha is exactly the bike I would recommend.

Aus has a different gig as there are not many redily available bikes and parts like us lucky sucks here in the US of A. I use my YZWR250 as an adventure bike but can only squeak 70 miles out of a ZipTyIMS3.2gl tank.

Well you have to understand the word "Adventure bike" and "Australia". If a YZ could do over 150 miles on a tank of fuel and could carry the necessary gear, than a YZ or WR Yamaha is exactly the bike I would recommend.

Aus has a different gig as there are not many redily available bikes and parts like us lucky sucks here in the US of A. I use my YZWR250 as an adventure bike but can only squeak 70 miles out of a ZipTyIMS3.2gl tank.

Sounds right to me! Tenere?

Thanks for all the help guys. I think i made a mistake about saying adventure bike.

Ive just been so hyped over dirtbikes for the past few days because i came to the realisatoon it would be fucking awesome to have one on all the crazy 4wd trips i go on with my dad and mates.

After looking into bikes a bit i think im going to go for something like YZ or KTm 250. I know you cant get a heap of miles out of them but im only 16 so its not like im going to be zipping into the bush without my dad in his truck with me so the miage and fuel isnt an issue plus i feel like the 'adventure bikes' are a little big and intermidating and i cant see myself being able to progress my skills on something like that, i would much prefer somethig light and agile.

Would a bike like that be alright for a newbie to learn on? and thanks again for the help really appreciate it

Thanks for all the help guys. I think i made a mistake about saying adventure bike.

Ive just been so hyped over dirtbikes for the past few days because i came to the realisatoon it would be fucking awesome to have one on all the crazy 4wd trips i go on with my dad and mates.

After looking into bikes a bit i think im going to go for something like YZ or KTm 250. I know you cant get a heap of miles out of them but im only 16 so its not like im going to be zipping into the bush without my dad in his truck with me so the miage and fuel isnt an issue plus i feel like the 'adventure bikes' are a little big and intermidating and i cant see myself being able to progress my skills on something like that, i would much prefer somethig light and agile.

Would a bike like that be alright for a newbie to learn on? and thanks again for the help really appreciate it

At 16 the adventure bike would be about 500lbs too heavy for you. Get a low maintenance bike like the xr400

For an absolute beginner I would maybe go xr250r or possibly even a 200 4 stroke like a Ktm etc!
What's your budget?

Last edited:
For an absolute beginner I would maybe go xr250r or possibly even a 200 4 stroke like a Ktm etc!
What's your budget?
I can spend up to 10k but atm i can go 6000 so anything under 6k would be great so i can get into riding as soon as possible. Obviously buying 2nd hand.