Dirtbike Advice

Hey I'm looking to get into riding dirtbike and I'm thinking about getting one used. My question is that I'm wondering what's the best/most reliable 2 stroke bike. I'm looking at the 2000-01 honda cr250s and yamaha yz250s. Please help. Also I would be riding it on general dirt trails and occasionally Glamis/soft sand.

Last edited:
I've been looking at honda cr 250s and yz 250s. Looking for 2 stroke. Mainly ride dirt trails. And occasionally sand like Glamis

both good choices. we have had lots of cr250's. my son is still riding his 2000, and i have a yz250. the cr's from 93-96 and the ones from 2000 and 2001 were my favorites, the yz from 1999 to current are good and very versatile.

Bike reliability is relative to its owner. Many solid machines roll out of the factory only to be neglected and abused. It's a lot of luck required to get one that's been taken care of but it helps to know what to look for on the surface. Lots of guys will say take a wrench and take it apart but that's really not practical. Best to just budget for repairs upon purchase. Look for the easy stuff that hasn't been done, and that gives you an idea that the "hard" stuff hasn't been done either. If they say "all it needs is a ..." pass if ghats all needs they would have done it already.

I tend to buy the unknown ones like they need everything on top at least when making an offer. You can check the mag side of the mains and about half the time get an educated guess on that.

Last edited: