Dirt Bike Registration

How do so many get their bikes registered in other states like AZ, NV, OR, ID assuming one lives in California. I'd like to have a plate on some of my non Cali street legal dirt bikes.

What is the deal, what are the so called "tricks" to get this done? What are the consequences of having a California Drivers License and an out of state registered dirtbike?

SRAD97750

Staff member
It is not legal. You will eventually break a law.

I for one, want to apologize for airing certain information on a public website regarding fees and pipe-dream out-of-state registration. I will not do it again.
This is "special circumstance" information that can be freely shared via PM. I don't think it should be brought public AT ALL.
Again, I am sorry for previous postings regarding seemingly illegal activities.

As far as the J-law is concerned...
-You must be an AZ resident to have a vehicle registered in AZ.
-You must have AZ insurance.
-10 days from the time entering CA, you must get your vehicle registered with CA plates and registration. (if not, Subject to heavy fines)
-10 days from the time entering CA, you must get a CA Driver's License. (if not, Subject to heavy fines)
-BIG DAN:thumb:

What about the VT titling "loophole"? I dont think it's illegal, for it's publicly common in the military surplus vehicle world. I think I remember it working for bikes too, but that will need some researching.

What about the VT titling "loophole"? I dont think it's illegal, for it's publicly common in the military surplus vehicle world. I think I remember it working for bikes too, but that will need some researching.

Way to go hillbilly, you added nothing to the thread. Hey Cleatois, watch this......DOH

Is it true if you divorse your wife in VA. and move to CA she is still your sister?

Way to go hillbilly, you added nothing to the thread. Hey Cleatois, watch this......DOH

Is it true if you divorse your wife in VA. and move to CA she is still your sister?

:lol: It could contribute. If we are talking about getting an off-road bike street legal in your state.

I will tell you if you tell me this...is divorce spelled differently and do state abbreviations end in a period in Cali? :wink:

Or are y'all talking about some different law that your communist state has?

Like Dan said... if you don't have a residence in the state you get a plate from, it's just not legal. Your buddy's address doesn't qualify. PO Boxes don't qualify. And even if you lie and get a plate... here is why it just doesn't work.

You get a Nev plate on your CA dirt bike. You think you beat the system. Two scenarios exist:

1) If you never get stopped by LEO you never needed it in the first place.
2) If you do get stopped by LEO your CA ID and out of state plate is an immediate ticket requiring you to get a CA plate which will never happen... so again, you never needed the out of state plate in the first place cause it did you no good.

The out of state plate is a FALSE sense of security.

I've had guys say "Oh they'll never catch me !" If thats the answer why did he need the plate. Might as well have been trucking down the highway with a Red Sticker.

I've had guys say "I don't go to Gorman so my plate never gets scrutinized !" or "I only ride desert... no one will ever see me." OK, again, what was the value of getting the out of state plate if it can never be scrutinized or seen ?

Take it a step further... you get into an accident in CA... you will get a ticket for no CA registration... the insurance company also denies your claim cause you participated in registration fraud. If you were at fault in the accident you get to fix that guys Mercedes with your own CASH !

What if you LIED some more and get a DL from the other state too so you can pass that road side stop ? Now you gotta lie a bunch more and register all your CA cars in the other state and insure them there cause you no longer have a CA DL. Then you run the risk of any insurance claim being denied if you wreck in CA.

If you truly have a home in another state... plate away ! :cheers: