Devil's Hole restoration party Ride Report

SRAD97750

Staff member
What a great day at the hole. Thanks to EVERYONE who came out and put in a few short hours. Your help is greatly appreciated by EVERYONE who will use the trails this year.

I don't have any pictures of the rock throwing. I'm sure Wingnut will drop a few great photos of the actual river crossing work and some of the ugly (and not so ugly) mugs that made it out.

I was in charge of the actual trail 2W01 restoration since the rains and snows this year. Very minimal damage to the trail shelf but need reinforcing in some locales. A few shrubs and whatnot were across the trail causing some braiding, so I lopped them off.

Here is a picture of the washout. Not actually difficult, but eventually the traill WILL disappear if not cut into the hilside better.

Trb4.jpg

Here is the restoration of the section. 6 inches wide. When restoring trails, you follow the contour of the hillside rather than filling in or digging down.

Trre.jpg

A serious braiding of the trail on the top side of 2W01. I moved some large logs into the path, to obviously redirect traffic for those that need herding.

braid1.jpg

braid2.jpg

After a HOT day trimming shrubbery and cutting trail into a rock face, I stopped at the northern end of 2W01 for a splash of water on my face and a quick nap. :devil:

NT.jpg

NT1.jpg

Here's the video of my travels NB on 2W01 for the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk6Dw2IIRHA

Headed back to find the river crossing and beach fortified, obviously marked, and clean.
They had installed some signage, fixed some other signage, and made the river crossing a joy to cross. I got soaked. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Well after looking further in the West section I have determined this area to be what Jeepers call the Dishpan Trail. I was up there 2 weeks or so ago in my Jeep and I would rather drive my Jeep on this section than my bike. :devil:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Well after looking further in the West section I have determined this area to be what Jeepers call the Dishpan Trail. I was up there 2 weeks or so ago in my Jeep and I would rather drive my Jeep on this section than my bike. :devil:

It is not Dishpan springs. It is Devil's hole. Where 2W01 Meets 3N34D.
Dishpan springs is about 4 miles east of devils hole on 3N34, east of the T-6 bridge.
Come on out and I'll give you a tour.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

damm link trickery

It's GOOD link trickery Travace. Every forum is different. Some don't even support videos. Many use different code to post videos if they do support it. So I take the time to create a graphic and BB code for RIDERS videos that works EVERYWHERE so RIDERS Ambassadors like BIG Dan can post this stuff quickly and easily for your viewing pleasure.

Additionally, by linking to OUR servers to display our videos we can alter or fix problems with Youtube, Vimeo or SmugMug videos in one place rather than hunting down every broken link on every forum where our videos might be posted.

More thought goes into this stuff than folks probably know or care to know. :thumb:

Thanks again BIG D for coming out and representing !

It's GOOD link trickery Travace. Every forum is different. Some don't even support videos. Many use different code to post videos if they do support it. So I take the time to create a graphic and BB code for RIDERS videos that works EVERYWHERE so RIDERS Ambassadors like BIG Dan can post this stuff quickly and easily for your viewing pleasure.

Additionally, by linking to OUR servers to display our videos we can alter or fix problems with Youtube, Vimeo or SmugMug videos in one place rather than hunting down every broken link on every forum where our videos might be posted.

More thought goes into this stuff than folks probably know or care to know. :thumb:

Thanks again BIG D for coming out and representing !

i understand what you are doing... it IS trickery tho because you take a SS of the video on the site and use that as a link. Making it look like its an embedded video when really its just a img with HTML tags.

Its all good. it took me 2 seconds to embedd it. Sometimes i just dont want to open another tab and deal with other sites. Sometimes i just want to watch the video right were im at and not get fooled by a pic that is made to look like its a embedded video.... you do know you dont have to use a picture to post a link right ?

anyhow what you do is awesome wingnut.... keep up the awesome volunteer work... wish you guys worked down in the San Diego area, i would be all over helping you guys.

PS... if something heppens to the link via one of the video sites you will still have to go to each post on each forum and change it.

PS... if something heppens to the link via one of the video sites you will still have to go to each post on each forum and change it.

Not true... when Youtube or Vimeo jacks up a video or pulls it which they do... I only need correct the embedded video on the RIDERS page. All the links we post around the internet link directly to our page which can be corrected as needed.

Bottomline is only YOUR embedded link in this thread is at risk of becoming broken. I don't even need to know where RIDERS members post my code to keep them active. But I'm wasting everyone's time trying to explain this to you and derailing Dans thread... so I'll drop it. Sorry BIG D :wave:

Not true... when Youtube or Vimeo jacks up a video or pulls it which they do... I only need correct the embedded video on the RIDERS page. All the links we post around the internet link directly to our page which can be corrected as needed.

Bottomline is only YOUR embedded link in this thread is at risk of becoming broken. I don't even need to know where RIDERS members post my code to keep them active. But I'm wasting everyone's time trying to explain this to you and derailing Dans thread... so I'll drop it. Sorry BIG D :wave:

you are not wasting your time. I fully understand what you are saying and i stand corrected.

definitely easier for a group like yours to post all around but its still trickery :lol:

:focus: i apologize