Injured Destry Abbott diagnosed with Leukemia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFg99xlRYw4/

• destryabbottWell, the rumors are out there and just wanted to give everyone an update! I haven't been feeling good lately and was hurting pretty bad on Sunday. Went to the hospital and have been here since. It turns out I have Leukemia and will be starting treatment ASAP. I'll most likely be in the hospital for a couple more weeks! Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. This is definitely a true test and I will give it everything I can. Love you all out there!!! ❤️

I hate hearing that. You see just how unimportant something like racing can be when you see someone like him facing that. Bruce Ogilvie comes to mind, too.

I hate hearing that. You see just how unimportant something like racing can be when you see someone like him facing that. Bruce Ogilvie comes to mind, too.
It killed my grandfather, its def no joke. I don't know that much about Bruce, but destrys been one of my hero's, like Kendall, Kurt ,Robby for a long time

I didn't meet Bruce until about a year before he was diagnosed. He was impressive by what he did (win the Baja 1000 after you turn 50 and it says something about ability), but more importantly, he didn't see like he took himself nearly so seriously as those around him did. His son was 12, approached another friend that I was with and made the exclamation that "people are asking my dad for his autograph!!". It was Anaheim 1, and we were all standing in front of Team Honda's semis. Yep, Bruce had lots of attention. His kid reminded me of Opie.

I didn't meet Bruce until about a year before he was diagnosed. He was impressive by what he did (win the Baja 1000 after you turn 50 and it says something about ability), but more importantly, he didn't see like he took himself nearly so seriously as those around him did. His son was 12, approached another friend that I was with and made the exclamation that "people are asking my dad for his autograph!!". It was Anaheim 1, and we were all standing in front of Team Honda's semis. Yep, Bruce had lots of attention. His kid reminded me of Opie.
seems to be a reoccurring theme amongst elite desert racers :cheers:

James

Staff member
Never met Destry, however I occasionally get to work with Kelsey through KTM. The Abbott's are good people, sucks that they have to go through this.

Leukemia used to be a death sentence when I was a kid, it was just. a matter of how long you could hold out. Doesn't seem to be that way anymore, but still, it's a terrible disease and I wish the guy well.

Leukemia used to be a death sentence when I was a kid, it was just. a matter of how long you could hold out. Doesn't seem to be that way anymore, but still, it's a terrible disease and I wish the guy well.

It has become a treatable disease rather than a terminal one. I always donate to the r&d foundations for cancer and MS because of this. #findacure.

there are two way i like to give: one is directly to a victim or his family. as for charities i REALLy favor the Ronald McDonald house. The money they get goes to help support the families of children who are being treated at the bigger hospitals that specialize in childhood cancers.

:(

WOW!!! I honestly don't even know what to say right now!!! As most of know I've been fighting a tough fight with my battle of cancer (Leukemia). Charlotte (my wife) has been by my side since the day we met. Well, we just received bad news yesterday that Charlotte has breast cancer and it's moved into her lymph nodes! She's having more tests done today and will be starting treatment here in AZ. This road just got a lot tougher, but I know both of us are going to do everything we can to get healthy again! Thank you for the support! ❤️ #da8strong #cancer #endcancer #leukemia#breastcancer #CANCERSUCKS