Desert Chase Van

I figured I would post some pictures of my new chase van. I have been on the hunt for a while now for the perfect chase van. I was torn between getting a cargo (due to the no back windows) or getting a 15 passenger, so I can have it finished inside and rear air.

Well I couldn't find anything that was in my price range with less than 200K miles on it. I need this thing to be reliable as I have to be focusing on the race, not my van. After a few months of searching a friend of mind called me. He said he knew of a couple vans that have been parked for a while and the owner was interested in getting rid of them. I said I wanted one and that was that.

I basically bought a van that had been sitting for 7 years. I dont know what I was thinking but what the heck!!!! YOLO! So it showed up to my shop that saturday and low and behold I can see the gem under all the dust. It has a few dings in the body but nothing that can't be fixed.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Thats right it saw convalescent center on it. 15 passenger van with all the seats removed except the last. It had a wheelchair lift installed. once we removed it we could see how much space we were working with

photo 4.JPG

We had to remove the carpet because it was stained and didn't smell to good. Once we did that we had something to start with.

photo 5.JPG

Going to mount a second bench seat in behind the driver so we can haul up to 4 people. We will be able to fit three bikes plus gear.

I had that same van back when the kids were little. I would leave the bench seat in behind the driver seat and could carry 5 people, 3 bikes and gear. Plus I added a hitch to the back and could tow a trailer if needed. Great van. Good luck with the conversion.

OHHH YEAHH! I know we don't speak of that unspeakable place here BUT, they have a bunch of moto van conversions over there. So if you want to steal their ideas and then post your build over here that would be great. :smirk:

your projects are always kickass, im sure this won't be any different :thumb: Gotta ask though, what is a "dez chase van"? Just another name for a moto-van?

NICE!

Going to put bed liner down in the floor?

460?

If you are going to add lights, Get LED.

If you remove all that plastic and stuff off the sounds its going to be loud and no insulation.

Ditch those hubcaps, You don't wanna loose them at a buck foty flying down sand whoops :smirk:

So I got the communications radio in yesterday. She is a 110W Kenwood. Not exactly where I wanted to put it but it will work for now. I was going to build a cool center console like most chase rigs have but I am not sure I want everybody that looks through the window to see what I have.

photo.JPG