Other CRF80 Stalled out, won't start again

Hi all, my name is Bruce and I'm new to this forum. I ride a Honda CRF80 2007 model which I've had since brand new. From the day I've got it I've had no problems with it until just the other day.

While riding with a few friends, I hit a ramp at low speeds and got a few feet off of the ground. When I landed, I tried to gave my bike some throttle and the engine died out. At first, I thought I had stalled the bike and wasn't worried until I tried to kick start it again. There was pressure, but the bike wouldn't start. It sounded like it would when I'd normally start it except the engine wouldn't get going. I then coast started it down a hill and the engine started up again, but only to stall out within seconds. While it was on for those few seconds I tried to give the bike some fuel but it didn't rev up at all.

My friend and I started working on it this morning in hopes that it was something small and easy to fix. Here is what we did:
`Changed the oil (this was well past due, it was almost black and had some specks of dirt in it)
`Cleaned the air filter (this was also past due, it had some build up on the outer foam)
`Changed the spark plug
`Checked the kill switch wires
`Cleaned the carb with carb cleaning fluid (the excess fluid draining out was a dark brown, while the original fluid was clear with a yellow tint)

The same thing still happens. It won't kick start and when I coast start the bike it dies out within seconds.

*I'd like to note that a few months ago I had removed the baffle off of the exhaust. I hope this isn't the cause and I regret doing so.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'd really like to get back to riding again so any comments help!

SRAD97750

Staff member
What do you mean when you say you cleaned the carburetor?
Removed it from the bike and removed all jets and cleaned them individually?

Being that you can bump start it, Sounds like a minor valve adjustment is needed or carburetor is still dirty. -BIG DAN:thumb:

We completely removed the carb from the bike and I sprayed each part and tube individually.. I drenched each and every part of it lol

Drenching the "tubes" in spray cleaner is not the same as removing the jets and cleaning them. Carb cleaner from a spray can does darn little for ones that are not plugged. the float should be set while you are in there too.

I assume you checked the spark when you had the plug out. My next move would be as Dan suggested and check the valve clearances. make sure you get the maximum clearance right at tdc. if not your cam chain could have jumped timing. Not uncommon considering it just landed hard.

the problem has something to do with the plug because out of 30-40 kicks we could only get one spark and that was with the new plug i bought. the bike still coast start but shuts off as soon at it stops, the engine wont rev up at all when its on

Are your float bowls working. Sounds like you are not getting gas. When you bump start it on a hill so you have throttle response or is it bogging when twisting the throttle? You said you hit a jump and it stopped working after that. How long were you riding before you hit the jump? Was the bike working good up until that time? You say the plug only sparked once? You could have a wire shorting something out. Disconnect the kill switch.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I gave a quad away because of this problem.

I ride that quad EVERY WEEKEND now... Ended up being the stator went out on it.

the problem has something to do with the plug because out of 30-40 kicks we could only get one spark and that was with the new plug i bought. the bike still coast start but shuts off as soon at it stops, the engine wont rev up at all when its on
OK, let's redirect...
Pull the plug wire and re-seat it into each end, the coil and the boot. There needs to be EXCELLENT connection here to avoid intermittent spark. If you have to cut it back to get to the fresh wires, do it. If it's too short, replace it. I have had alot of issues with intermittent spark due to a loose plug wire.

Could also be the stator/signal generator due to the repeated 'hard landings.' That was the issue with Timo's quad. The stator just gave up the ghost. Replaced it and it fired up first click. There is some electrical testing you can do before replacing it though...
-BIG DAN:thumb:

the carb has gas in it every time i open it back up. there is no throttle response after coast start. the bike ran fine before, this all happened out of nowhere. also tried engine starting fluid with no luck.

I'm done working on it for the day. Thanks for all your responses and I'll give it another go tomorrow.
I've also came across another problem... when reassembling the parts that cover the valves, one of the two bolts that keeps the lid on snapped halfway down. any suggestions on what to do with this issue? I'd post a pic, but im not sure how

the red circle is the one with the snapped bolt inside.. this is becoming very frustrating :mmph:

Attachments

• crf80.png
    crf80.png
    462.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: