CRF450X or CRF250X for new rider

Hello, I am looking into buying a new dirt bike. I am practically new to riding considering the last time I rode a dirt bike was about 7 years ago. I have rode some ATVs since then but that's about it. Since I am a new rider should I go with the CRF250X or the CRF450X. I am 18yo 6'2" about 220 lbs, I will mostly be riding out in the desert and dunes(Glamis) with some mountain trail riding. I'm not sure if the 450X would be too much power since i'm new.

Hello, I am looking into buying a new dirt bike. I am practically new to riding considering the last time I rode a dirt bike was about 7 years ago. I have rode some ATVs since then but that's about it. Since I am a new rider should I go with the CRF250X or the CRF450X. I am 18yo 6'2" about 220 lbs, I will mostly be riding out i the desert and dunes with some mountain trail riding. I'm not sure if the 450X would be too much power since i'm new.
Most of the guys who bought 450f's here wish they bought 250f's.... The guys who bought 250f's then convert to enduro 2 strokes. I see it time and time again.

Hello, I am looking into buying a new dirt bike. I am practically new to riding considering the last time I rode a dirt bike was about 7 years ago. I have rode some ATVs since then but that's about it. Since I am a new rider should I go with the CRF250X or the CRF450X. I am 18yo 6'2" about 220 lbs, I will mostly be riding out in the desert and dunes(Glamis) with some mountain trail riding. I'm not sure if the 450X would be too much power since i'm new.

How much riding and where did you ride 7 years ago?

SRAD97750

Staff member
736c7c59-53fe-4adf-a654-94a01c5c2630

If you're stuck on getting a 4T,
Both a 250F and a 450F both have more than enough power to put a novice rider on their ass. It's about control.
At 220 lbs and over 6', here in the dez, I imagine you'll outgrow the power of a 250F REALLY FAST. I would suggest a 450 for dunes and open desert riding. I think the grunt of a 450 would benefit you in our local mountains also. You can pick up either one used, pretty cheap.

If you are open to suggestion,
The 300cc 2Ts are really quite good. I would suggest one for a larger rider such as yourself. They are crazy light and have alot of grunt.
Easily found used for pretty cheap.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Riding the dunes on a motorcycle is really for a more experienced rider. A bike's front end tends to wash out and dive quite a bit and requires a lot of body movement to keep it going in a straight line. Cresting a razorback (top of a dune) is a completely unique experience on a bike. A quad gives you a sense of security that will be a totally different experience on a bike. I personally would never take my motorcycle to Glamis. It's just my personal preference, but the wear and tear the sand puts on a bike, to me just isn't worth it. The king of the sand on a motorcycle would be a CR500:thumb:

The desert is a great place to get re-acquainted with motorcycle riding. It offers everything from fire roads to sand washes to single track to hill climbs to whoops:foul:. In the current environment, there are good debates going on between the newer 2 strokes and 4 strokes. For me, I am sticking with the 4 strokes for now and with your size and weight, I don't think you could go wrong with either a Yamaha WR450 or a Honda 450X.

There are lot's of options out for you. Good luck in your search and welcome to the site and back into the sport:clap:

If you're stuck on getting a 4T,
Both a 250F and a 450F both have more than enough power to put a novice rider on their ass. It's about control.
At 220 lbs and over 6', here in the dez, I imagine you'll outgrow the power of a 250F REALLY FAST. I would suggest a 450 for dunes and open desert riding. I think the grunt of a 450 would benefit you in our local mountains also. You can pick up either one used, pretty cheap.

If you are open to suggestion,
The 300cc 2Ts are really quite good. I would suggest one for a larger rider such as yourself. They are crazy light and have alot of grunt.
Easily found used for pretty cheap.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Even 250 2 strokes. I/E ktm 250xc.

Riding the dunes on a motorcycle is really for a more experienced rider. A bike's front end tends to wash out and dive quite a bit and requires a lot of body movement to keep it going in a straight line. Cresting a razorback (top of a dune) is a completely unique experience on a bike. A quad gives you a sense of security that will be a totally different experience on a bike. I personally would never take my motorcycle to Glamis. It's just my personal preference, but the wear and tear the sand puts on a bike, to me just isn't worth it. The king of the sand on a motorcycle would be a CR500:thumb:

The desert is a great place to get re-acquainted with motorcycle riding. It offers everything from fire roads to sand washes to single track to hill climbs to whoops:foul:. In the current environment, there are good debates going on between the newer 2 strokes and 4 strokes. For me, I am sticking with the 4 strokes for now and with your size and weight, I don't think you could go wrong with either a Yamaha WR450 or a Honda 450X.

There are lot's of options out for you. Good luck in your search and welcome to the site and back into the sport:clap:
Nice post Turd shooter.:thumb:

Get a 450 if you plan on going to the sand a lot. All my friends who go to glamis that have 250f's blow there bikes up a lot faster from riding in the dunes. on the 250f in the dunes you will be always rev'in the crap out of them. I bought a 250f cause it was my friend bike, but i wish i would of got a 450f from the start. i am getting a 450 soon and selling my 250f. For san diego area, i always say a 4 stroke is the way to go if you dont plan on just riding track.