CRF250R woes....shavings in the oil filter.

Well Fellers, we were out changing the engine and tranny fluids in Monkey-Boy's bike last night getting ready for the weekend and when we were changing the oil filter, we noticed brass colored shavings in it. This is a tell-tale sign that the crank is going to fail or the bearings are toast. I can't replace anything as I am leaving for the race tomorrow. Should I let Monkey-Boy race and take a chance? What say my DBA Peeps? Mechanically challenged member's opinions are welcomed but will be ignored :smirk: I would love to hear from some of the troops that know a thing or two about engines :thumb: Oh and thanks in advance :thumb:

I know little about engines, but the question I would ask is, can the damage that would happen make your repair more expensive and take longer to fix or is whatever damage there is not gonna get any worse?

I know little about engines, but the question I would ask is, can the damage that would happen make your repair more expensive and take longer to fix or is whatever damage there is not gonna get any worse?

Well there is not a lot of bronze in most current motorcycle engines. As N'edge already knows it's from the rod bearings. If the rod lets go it can completely grenade the engine. If it happens on the approach to a big double the consequences for the rider can be pretty severe. Will that happen on the next ride? Who knows.

Well Fellers, we were out changing the engine and tranny fluids in Monkey-Boy's bike last night getting ready for the weekend and when we were changing the oil filter, we noticed brass colored shavings in it. This is a tell-tale sign that the crank is going to fail or the bearings are toast. I can't replace anything as I am leaving for the race tomorrow. Should I let Monkey-Boy race and take a chance? What say my DBA Peeps? Mechanically challenged member's opinions are welcomed but will be ignored :smirk: I would love to hear from some of the troops that know a thing or two about engines :thumb: Oh and thanks in advance :thumb:

Thats a big risk brother. Especially on a 250F rev monster.. I wouldnt let my son or my friends son race a motor I was unsure of.... that goes for both my domestic and imported friends...

You're always going to have a little color in your oil/filter change. The key is on knowing how much time you have on the motor. Is it a old racer with a few years on it, then no, rip it apart. If it's got one season on it, put the Leatt on him, and start rolling film.:devil: It's probably a little wear from the rod big end thrust washers. Maybe give it some Lucas for added stability, but I would think you would be okay.:noidea:

Thanks for all the replys Fellers :cheers: I'm pretty meticulous about changing the fluids and I have never had any shavings in the filter before. This is a sign that, like Timo says, the thrust bearings are the likely culprit. No doubt it would be a bunch cheaper if I just replace everything now before it grenades - I am more concerned that it grenades in the middle of some bigair. Monkey-Boy was working the phones last night to see if he could borrow ones of his buddy's bikes. Will keep you posted Sunday or Monday. :thumb:

Hey at least it's a Honda and if It grenades, only the the top end will be harmed. The bottom end gears wil be fine hahaha. What year is your bike?