CRF250R Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so here is the situiation. The bike is a 2007 CRF250r. I would guess the bike itself only has about 100-120 hours on it. It started eating up massive amounts of oil that was getting through the rings (or so we thought). The valves were shot anyways so we decided to send the head off to Fastheads and we ordered a new piston and rings. (Another important thing to mention is that the exhaust had a black film on it so we automatically figured it was the problem. Over the past 2 days we have installed the new head (SS valves whole package) and the new piston. First, The bike is a pain in the rear to start, like kicking it for 10 minutes. YES the timing is correct, i triple checked. It isnt 180 or whatever as many people say, it is perfect. When the bike is running it sounds great, but the minute you go to ride it (first test ride after head cycles) oil starts spewing out of the breather hose for the transmission. We are thinking this is why it was using so much oil in the first place before we replaced everything. Also to mention that oil magically disappears from the engine side even though it isnt burning it. Im pretty sure it is the crank seal from what Ive read but i wanted to hear your opinions.

After removing the clutch (yes I realize I didnt have too now) I can see the back of the bearing (i think its the right one) and it looks perfectly fine...

I don't think you should see crank bearings when you remove the clutch. Should be a seal on stator and primary side if you have engine oil and trans oil compartments. How does the pickup screen look for the oil pump?

Looking at bearings and guessing on hours is ridiculous.

How long have you had it
Ever had the crank replaced
Any vertical slop on the rod
Was the cyl in spec w/ new piston

I'd say your engine oil is magically disappearing out the tranny breather

Last edited:
Yes, that is where its coming out. Ive removed the clutch and right side case so far. We ordered the crank and balancer seals and also a couple bearings. Here is a pic of what ive got so far. The rod no vertical slop, only a very slight amount side to side.

Hopefully this pic works

I am sorry. I have yet to check the oil pickup screen, but i will tomorrow for sure. We don't plan on taking the engine out, you dont have to too replace the seal that commonly fails.

The bottom end was perfectly within spec, so we didnt see the need in spending another 500$ since we just spent around 700 for the head and piston.

The bottom end was perfectly within spec, so we didnt see the need in spending another 500$ since we just spent around 700 for the head and piston.

You'll be buying a new head and piston again if you don't invest in the bottom end. Crank rebuild with new rod and bearings right around $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.