Other Crf 250r top end kit

The question on the valves depends on if they are currently in spec clearance wise and if they have been shimmed before. That is all you need to change a piston and rings. Cylinder condition and valves as you have already asked are possible too.

if your valves haven't been shimmed I'd run them, I'd only replace them after you've had to shim 2-3 times.
If you're just doing a preventative top end, chances are the cylinder is fine too, piston, rings, timing chain

How many times have you adjusted the valves?
How many hours are on the bike?
Do you service it regularly?
Many factors will be the end results. Don't buy parts until you know what you need.
And yes, timing chain like any chain can stretch.

Not sure in the hours as I bought it with the hours unknown.

All I know is that the valves with change do out before I bought it, maybe couple of hours riding by previous owner on the new valves.

Yes I service regularly after every ride oil change and air filter.

Thanks

Fixed the hard/no starting issue?

Want to learn, buy a gasket kit, take apart, check internal specs and put back together if all is well. Order parts as necessary if all is not. Get that manual did you?

At least 2 torque wrenches, one big one small. Micrometer and tapered feeler gauges in small increments. Rubber hammer. Patience. Moly-b and white lithium grease. Magnifying glass of you don't have one already. The valve spring removal kit is 40$ but worth that and more. Did I mention the Manual?

Last edited:
A service manual for your bike: $30
Having all the correct info at your fingertips and not having to rely on unknown internet dipshits: priceless. :lol:

Fixed the hard/no starting issue?

Want to learn, buy a gasket kit, take apart, check internal specs and put back together if all is well. Order parts as necessary if all is not. Get that manual did you?

At least 2 torque wrenches, one big one small. Micrometer and tapered feeler gauges in small increments. Rubber hammer. Patience. Moly-b and white lithium grease. Magnifying glass of you don't have one already. The valve spring removal kit is 40$ but worth that and more. Did I mention the Manual?
huh thats odd, I thought the way to do it was to tighten those f'king head bolts as much as you could then cry for help on the internet all while telling them how great you are

Yeah 2Wheels I got that sorted, sorry I should have updated post! I changed spark plugs and kicked bike few times while it was out to clear the cylinder head.

Anyway yeah I have the manual at my finger tips now and look forward to cracking the engine open.

I'll add another maybe 15-20 hours on bike before doing it but that gives me time to get tools sorted and read some more and watch videos I suppose!