Crank Balancing

Hey spend your cash the way you want to, but a CR500 will probably have the least to gain from better balance than any other bike. The non powervalve engine is not optimized for high revs at all. It signs off real early and running it on the rev limiter is not productive.

What are you looking for? Less vibes perhaps?

Hey spend your cash the way you want to, but a CR500 will probably have the least to gain from better balance than any other bike. The non powervalve engine is not optimized for high revs at all. It signs off real early and running it on the rev limiter is not productive.

What are you looking for? Less vibes perhaps?
You have never rode a CR500 have you. Cuz if you did you would know it would bennefit verry much with a balanced crank... The CR500 would gain greatly in performance and ridability. I have done lots of reseach and many years of riding a CR500 so yes I am spending my money verry productively. But Thanks.

Oh I've been on a CR500 before. I think that my hands are still buzzing. :shocked:

It's not like Honda didn't try to quiet the vibes. Without a counterbalancer you can only do so much. There is some variation in cranks from the factory. If you have a bad one it could make a big difference. Every crank shop will tout the benefits, they want your cash.

I sold my old 2000 CR500 to a friend. Since then he replaced the bearings and seals. While it was apart he had the crank balanced. You would not beleive the difference it made. It totally changed the charrectoristics of the engine. It is so smooth and sounds so different. It's my old bike and now I want it back. :smirk:
I want my SH 2010 CR500af to run and sound the same.

You have never rode a CR500 have you. Cuz if you did you would know it would bennefit verry much with a balanced crank... The CR500 would gain greatly in performance and ridability. I have done lots of reseach and many years of riding a CR500 so yes I am spending my money verry productively. But Thanks.

I think what cleanord meant to say was that your benefits from a more precisely balanced crank would not justify the expense of having a 3rd party do it. Smaller bore bikes benefit more from it due to their higher rpm range. The biggest benefit a big bore could get is less vibration with minimal impact on performance. Now if you were rebuilding or replacing the crank with a wiseco then the balancing would already be done.

FYI.... Just slow down and read in between the lines. It's the internet, most of this stuff isn't real but I see how you can mistake it for an attack. :thumb:

Ask your buddy who did his....On your old cr5000 ... IF they did a good job on his they will do a good job on yours.
I did. He told me who did it so I called them. He miss understood the work performed on the crank. The shop is in MI. Its called Labaron's Power Sports. I called them and they told me they do not balance the cranks. They just True them. Well, I want mine balanced. Thinking of Surf-n-Turf.

I did. He told me who did it so I called them. He miss understood the work performed on the crank. The shop is in MI. Its called Labaron's Power Sports. I called them and they told me they do not balance the cranks. They just True them. Well, I want mine balanced. Thinking of Surf-n-Turf.
That's a lot if work just for that....

To balance, In the Automotive world, You have to send in the whole kit.... Crank,rods,pistons,flywheel..... If something is off, You throw it away and get another one.....