cr125r clutch problems

i just got a cr125r in a trade the bike runs good but when i click into gear it stalls like i slammed into gear without the clutch ive only ran the bike for about 3 mins before i shut it down because i havent got any coolant in it idk if it could be the bike being to cold for the clutch plates to unstick it was -14 out when i tried so idk please help

At that temp dont plan on the clutch plates releasing until the rig is really warm. do you have a clue as to how to adjust a clutch? my way is a good cable and about an eighth of an inch of play when you pull the clutch handle. fyi most all bikes will have a certain amount of drag from the clutch. ie when you pull in on the handle when it is in gear it doesnt feel like you can push it like in neutral. that is normal.

Last edited:
it probly is the oil being cold and maybe lack of use on the bike. Try putting it in gear and rocking it with clutch lever pulled in. That may help unstick the plates. It could of course be a notched basket as well, but start with the cold oil as the cause. I use synth car auto trans oil in my 2 st gear boxes now...shifts better and finds neutral easier.

put some coolant in that bike... running it without any coolant in any temperature is not good at all, ever..... even at -14*.

The bike will need to warm up the cases, internals and lubricants before you can get a fair evaluation of the clutch.

I just noticed the part about the coolant. LOL, I think I would have suggested getting a manual and reading it carefully, fully and twice before going near the rig again.