Corralitos 100 Race Report

This past weekend I raced the Corralitos 100 in Las Cruces New Mexico, it is the 2nd round of the NMDRC series.

The track was 30 miles long, consisting of winding sand sections, hilly rock sections, and lots of S s-turns through a silt bed

Start: For a reason unbeknown to me, they started me in with the 40+Am's, a row behind the other lites Am's, seeing as how it was a long straight for a start, my little 250f didn't pull a single bike on the start as every other bike in my row was a 450. :/ However, as we got into everyone's favorite energy drainer known as whoops, I started to reel them in one by one and eventually I ended up all by myself on the desert floor about 10 miles into loop 1. I chose to run a pace a bit faster than usual because I wanted to be with the rest of the guys in my class and start making passes. I was cruising a long and saw an area marked with the x, however at the rate I was moving I was up and on the g out that it was warning me about, I managed to react quick enough and move over to the side where there was a bit of higher ground and simply jumped across it :rocker: I am crusing right along as fast as I can make the little bike go without over-revving the engine, and off in the distance I can see the rest of my class, its right then that we enter the silt section, with different lines everywhere cutting corners it was anybody's game as it became impossible to tell where the original course the promoters had laid out was. I picked what flowed best to me, however it sucked the life right out of my 250f, I ended up running a gear lower than I usually would. I exited the silt section and entered G-Out Alley, which was lots of hard pack sand whoops, upshifted a gear higher and centralized my body weight, and the bike just ate it up, if I hadn't have had my suspension set up, there is no way I would have gotten through there as clean as I did. Towards the end of lap 1 I passed one of the guys in my class, his kawi had dropped a valve :stirthepot:
I just to pit at the end of lap 1, knowing the bike was capable of safely doing 60 miles on a tank, lap 2 was rather uneventful, other than at the end of it I was so tired I seriously considered quitting for saftey reasons, I was done and was worried about crashing and injury, however, I pushed forward and began my 3rd lap, which was rather uneventful, just low, it took me an hour and 5 minutes to complete the last loop, my fastest was about 55 minutes :/ nothing too eventful happened, one lone ktm 2stroke in the pro am class caught and passed me, and I caught and passed a couple of even more worn out riders than myself.

Pulled into the pits, put the bike on the stand, and noticed that the palms of my gloves were red, I had grown blisters and blown them out all in the same day

the results came in and I had finished 2nd in my class, giving up 5 minutes to 1st place over the course of 90 miles and pulling about 10 minutes on 3rd place.

Pics and vids will come as I get them :ride:

Sweet Report!:thumb:

So it sounds like you caught and passed a few guys in your class. I would have asked why you were sent off behind your line. This might have cost you a win in class.
Great job on the race and looking forward to the vid.

Sweet Report!:thumb:

So it sounds like you caught and passed a few guys in your class. I would have asked why you were sent off behind your line. This might have cost you a win in class.
Great job on the race and looking forward to the vid.
I am not too worried about, there's a lot of miles and lots of racing left and I'm in a good spot.

Thank you for the positive responses :thumb:

heres 2 pictures, I will get off my arse and upload the go pro tonight
44754768-Corralitos_2013_0107_zps1fe85c79.jpg
44754767-Corralitos_2013_0202_zpsda7e4e3c.jpg

Sean you should do a "Best moments" compilation for each races, i have the attention span of squirrel and can barely watch a 10 minute video all the way through and i'd love to actually watch you race. :thumb: