Coolant Leaking from Water Pump?

hi guys. finished all the rebuild and started and ran the bike for a couple minutes.
i noticed coolant leaking out from where the rocker arm cover and cylinder head join.
i did use gasket goo, on both surfaces(cylinder head and rocker arm cover) but the coolant seems to have melted it and that's where it was leaking from(the left side corner of the water pump). i have taken the rocker arm cover back apart and going to use a different branded gasket goo.
my question is though, would that coolant have leaked into the engine(if all that sealant/goo would've melted away)?? or will i be fine?

From the water pump(i did clearly state that btw).
The gasket goo I used didn't seal it properly.
No photos sorry.

Last edited:
You know how you put a layer of silicon or gasket goo on the rocker cover surface prior to installing? I did that but once I ran the bike coolant dissolved the gasket goo and it started leaking out from the water pump. around the surface next to the water pump where the rocker cover and the cylinder head join(between the metals where the gasket goo was supposed to be). it wasn't leaking from the rocker cover itself, it was leaking from the water pump and dripping on the ground.
That's the best I can explain it.
Wondering if it would've gone into my engine.

Last edited:
ok cool. found some of that RTV silicone and connected valve cover, waiting for it to dry now.

i have a new problem now though. when i line the engine up at TDC, the piston is all the way up but i can't get a feeler gauge under the valves except for when i use a socket and ratchet and turn the flywheel a bit off the TDC position(when the piston is caught going downwards a little of the way), which is the only time when i can get the feeler gauge under the valves/tappets but at this point, the flywheel isn't at the TDC position anymore...it's slightly off. but then from that position, when i move the flywheel back the other way(backwards in a clockwise direction) to the exact TDC position(going backwards from the slightly off position) im then also able to get my feeler gauge under but only when going backwards from the slightly off TDC position if that makes sense.
both marks on the cam are aligned with the head while the piston is all the way up, TDC crank bolt went straight into the notch on the crank when i aligned it to verify and flywheel was at TDC mark(as per manual).

not really too sure how else to explain it. it just doesn't make sense to me. there's a few questions:
1. why would the valves have pressure on them at the TDC position?
2. how come i am able to go backwards from the slightly off TDC position and then be able to get the feeler gauge under the tappet?
3. what is going on/causing it? :S

Last edited:
you may not have the cam timed right. a tooth off etc. your marks may be off. how many degrees are you talking about? slightly means different things, as I think of 2 degrees as being significant.

yeah its about 15 degree's off. it should be timed right because i followed the manual and double checked it.
cam alignment marks are both set horizontal to the head with piston at full TDC, plus the crank lock bolt goes into the groove on the crank when at that position.

im just thinking, could it be the cam lobes? i set the cam timing with the alignment marks both horizontal to the head but with the lobes both facing down, that's how i was told and thought you were meant to do it.

it doesn't make sense though because when i turn the flywheel backwards and put it in the TDC position, the feeler gauge goes under but only when i turn it backwards from the "slightly off" position. that's the confusing part.

Last edited:
TDC.png

here's a quick illustration. this is exactly what's happening. the top pic is the correct TDC position as per the manual(the bottom flywheel mark just in line with the top of the Pulser Coil), where i aligned the cam with and where the crank lock bolt goes in.
now, when the flywheel mark is at the higher point(in the bottom pic), the valves are fully closed then....then from that point im able to turn the flywheel backwards to the correct TDC position and they still stay closed and rockers don't move....but when i turn the flywheel forward in the correct direction of travel, the flywheel mark ends up at that point(in the bottom photo) and im then able to check my valves but piston isn't at TDC at that point. The 'P' is the pulser coil.

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Are you positive you are on 'Compression TDC'? There are 2 TDC's per one intake stroke.
At the wrong TDC there will be valves being depressed.

I put my finger over the spark plug hole and turn the crank until the air pushes my finger off the hole (or definite compression is felt). Then, as the piston comes to 'compression TDC', all valves should be closed.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Well I did everything as per the manual so I assume I'm on the compression stroke. It has to be the correct TDC because piston is all the way up and crank lock bolt goes in perfectly when at correct TDC position as per my illustration

SRAD97750

Staff member
The crank lock bolt will work at both TDCs.
Well I did everything as per the manual so I assume I'm on the compression stroke. It has to be the correct TDC because piston is all the way up and crank lock bolt goes in perfectly when at correct TDC position as per my illustration

SRAD97750

Staff member
put my finger over the spark plug hole and turn the crank until the air pushes my finger off the hole (or definite compression is felt). Then, as the piston comes to 'compression TDC', all valves should be closed.
-BIG DAN:thumb: