"Come on, baby, let's do the twist"

This is a throttle technique I use, I'm not sure if its an old one or if I'm the only one who uses it. All the people I ride with say they don't do it.

When I open up my throttle I roll my hand instead of griping and dropping my elbow. If im going for speed I do this to get the full throttle open without any elbow drop or loss of control.

closed throttle and quarter throttle.
WP_000706_zps101b47db.jpg

normal use of the throttle.

Half throttle

WP_000707_zps2d17c130.jpg

I start to roll my hand back at first sign of elbow drop, allowing the throttle to open

full throttle

WP_000708_zps8120764e.jpg

I roll my hand all the way back kind of turning it into a monkey paw. This allows full throttle with little to no elbow drop and still gives me control over the bike.

sometimes I keep my thumb on the throttle when im all the way back

WP_000709_zps007e4973.jpg

I only use this on a straight away or when im on the street. when im in tight technical stuff I don't get anywhere near full throttle. Its a little different, but it works awesome for getting the speed im looking for. All of my riding buddies... okay the whole two of them, I have no friends :cry: :smirk: ... say that they don't do this and never even heard of it. Any thoughts or improvement?

I've always had my elbows up at zero throttle and if I get to full throttle my elbows are right where i want them to be in my crouched attack position. My levers are also positioned so that I can reach them from either full throttle or zero throttle.

It'll be really difficult for you to grab the brake lever with your hand like that, and I've hit little bumps that would have ripped the bar out of my hand with that grip. I wouldn't try and tell another rider how to ride unless they specifically asked, but if you were my kid, i would work on a different technique with you hehe.

I've always had my elbows up at zero throttle and if I get to full throttle my elbows are right where i want them to be in my crouched attack position. My levers are also positioned so that I can reach them from either full throttle or zero throttle.

It'll be really difficult for you to grab the brake lever with your hand like that, and I've hit little bumps that would have ripped the bar out of my hand with that grip. I wouldn't try and tell another rider how to ride unless they specifically asked, but if you were my kid, i would work on a different technique with you hehe.

no one showed me how to do it or taught me, its just something I started doing. It works for me and im not pushing it on anyone.

I know you're not pushing it on anyone :) But you did kind of ask for thoughts or improvement. I would suggest, in the most friendly way possible, that you do work on changing it to a more traditional method.

James

Staff member
I'd say that there's probably a reason you don't see other people using this method. :smirk:

The problem I see is that at full throttle you just lost control of the bars. On straight and flat terrain this won't be much of an issue however you won't see a MX rider doing this. Well maybe once...

Yeah its all good. I only use it when im on flat terrain. I never do this when im actually riding. Its just a little something I do I suppose. wheN im riding in the good stuff I never do this, that's just stupid haha.

i would work on NOT doing that. at first you will prolly have to think about it... after a while it wont even be a thought in your head.

bad habits are easy to learn. I am constantly working on getting rid of mine.

From those pictures are you saying you only hold on with your fingers at full throttle? Seems like a quick way to let go of the bars as soon as the going gets rough. I of course am not one to say as I can not imagine ever turning the grip to full throttle. :noidea:

1385556_1389967534570052_1729830611_n.jpg
1014448_1392026507697488_44885336_n.jpg

Elbow up, screw the throttle on. I was told that your wrist should never go below the center of the throttle tube, I make it uncomfortable at closed throttle to promote getting back on the gas, always weight the outside peg and be in control of the bike:thumb:

This is a throttle technique I use, I'm not sure if its an old one or if I'm the only one who uses it. All the people I ride with say they don't do it.

When I open up my throttle I roll my hand instead of griping and dropping my elbow. If im going for speed I do this to get the full throttle open without any elbow drop or loss of control.

closed throttle and quarter throttle.
WP_000706_zps101b47db.jpg

normal use of the throttle.

Half throttle

WP_000707_zps2d17c130.jpg

I start to roll my hand back at first sign of elbow drop, allowing the throttle to open

full throttle

WP_000708_zps8120764e.jpg

I roll my hand all the way back kind of turning it into a monkey paw. This allows full throttle with little to no elbow drop and still gives me control over the bike.

sometimes I keep my thumb on the throttle when im all the way back

WP_000709_zps007e4973.jpg

I only use this on a straight away or when im on the street. when im in tight technical stuff I don't get anywhere near full throttle. Its a little different, but it works awesome for getting the speed im looking for. All of my riding buddies... okay the whole two of them, I have no friends :cry: :smirk: ... say that they don't do this and never even heard of it. Any thoughts or improvement?

I'm not an expert rider (anymore... :lol:) however if you're on a straightaway or on street, what difference does elbow drop make? I can understand it in the technical and/or tight stuff... and SD's right about grabbing the brake in the event you had to slow down/stop in a hurry... :noidea: