Clutch Spring Bolts

Broke one of my clutch spring bolts, question is can i just get a regular bolt and washer and use that or do i have to get a new set of OEM bolts? Wasent paying attention to torque wrench and snapped the bolt.

Broke one of my clutch spring bolts, question is can i just get a regular bolt and washer and use that or do i have to get a new set of OEM bolts? Wasent paying attention to torque wrench and snapped the bolt.
Bolts are bolts, as long as the dimensions are the same, go for it.you did get the old bolt out right?

If any is sticking out at all you can cut a slot with a dremel and cut off wheel. Then use a flat blade screwdriver.

Left hand drill bits are the best for the drill the center method. They usually catch and out it comes.

Last edited:
Get a new oem bolt ASAP. They are designed to break that's why they have a specified torque of 8lbs. You can use a standard bolt to get you through the weekend just remove it ASAP when you are done riding.

Get a new oem bolt ASAP. They are designed to break that's why they have a specified torque of 8lbs. You can use a standard bolt to get you through the weekend just remove it ASAP when you are done riding.
Huh.....I didn't know that, hey I lurned sumtin two day

Does ASAP cover the clutch bolt I replaced in my XR600 almost 15 years ago? Are these really "special" bolts?

Does ASAP cover the clutch bolt I replaced in my XR600 almost 15 years ago? Are these really "special" bolts?

Yes they are special bolts specifically designed to snap when over torqued. T bolts are modeled after them. t bolts are what they use in all new steel construction so everything is automatically torqued at the engineers specs. When the nut reaches the predetermined torque the top half of the bolt or nut snaps off.

Yes they are special bolts specifically designed to snap when over torqued. T bolts are modeled after them. t bolts are what they use in all new steel construction so everything is automatically torqued at the engineers specs. When the nut reaches the predetermined torque the top half of the bolt or nut snaps off.

So whats the big deal of using regualr bolts aslong as they fit and are torqued to spec?