RM125 Clutch issue

I need some professionals opinion here. I start my 2000 suzuki rm 125 up like normal and i let it warm up for around 5-7 minutes.. It's 30 degrees outside. The previous owner to the bike said It was sitting in the garage not being ridin. So when I first checked the bike out the clutch worked fine.. Wasn't the best (hold the clutch in while in 1st and it wouldn't roll) but now I tried riding it last night and after it was warm I pulled the clutch in and put it in first gear and it poped foward and died. It did the same thing that would happen if you just poped it in first without the clutch staying still. I'm not sure what the issue is.. Is it the clutch plates sticking? It doesn't disengage or engage.. I went down a hill in first gear and rode around and when I came to a stop I pulled the clutch in and it died.. Please help!

Sounds like the clutch basket is notched up. Suzuki is known for having weak clutch baskets. Drain and change the oil, Adjust the cable if it is still doing it, pop off the side cover and inspect the plates for warping, inspect the fibers for wear, inspect the basket and inner hub for notches.

Tusk clutch kit at RMCATV has great prices on the clutch kit. You can get away with filing down the notches but this is just a band aid. I suggest replacement of the basket with a wise-co or a hinson :thumb:

27x351x.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
Adjust your cable.
Pull it completely off and inspect the cable for ANY fraying or single strands broken.
Even one broken strand can produce play that will not allow the clutch to disengage. 99% of the time it's the cable adjustment.

If no results, I'd check the clutch basket for notching.

The spring is protection for the cable, it does not activate it. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Last edited: