Clutch cable snapped, Now clutch wont engage. HELP!

2003 YZ450F

Clutch cable snapped at handlebarwhile out riding. While looking at the damage I noticed I lost all tension on the push lever down where the cable connects too on the engine (I could freely move the lever back and forth).

I tore apart the clutch yesterday only to find no visible damage and everything is within spec as per the manual (plates and springs)

The issue seems to be the push rod(s) no longer extend long enough to push against the outer friction disk to release the friction in the clutch. I see no visiable damage, it just seems as if the push rod needs to be longer in order to push out the friction plate. I have no missing parts and yes the ball is in place in the outer push rod.

So I dont know where to go from here if I cant see anything wrong. Everything worked perfect beforw the cable snapped. The push lever still has the same throw of a quarter turn or so but it has no tension as the push rod does not press agaist the outer friction plate as it should.

I would approciate any help as I see plenty of issues like this but none of the solutions have helped me in my case. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure you know what engaged and disengaged mean: When the clutch is engaged the plates are TOGETHER, and power is transmitted from the primary gear to the mainshaft in the transmission.

The manual would help for sure. I still an not clear if you reinstalled a cable or not.

Either you don't have the push lever fully installed or it has worn out. These do wear out. I hope it is just not seated correctly as those push levers are very hard to find.

Paw Paw

I was going to say if the tip gets deformed a file will sometimes help and welding a little to build it back up and filing to shape helps. Hondas get a different type of thing, but the same treatment. sounds like you can tell the next guy how to fix it now.