CB radios

Who here uses them? Whats your setup? what range can you get out of your setup?

I have a uniden PC66XL with a wilson lil wil metal antenna and get 4-5 miles of range.

I have a cobra, can't really remember the model off the top of my head. I have a 4 foot atenna on my suburban and I get 5-6 miles normally, and 8-10 if im lucky on a good day. I love my CB, and I will soon have one in my f-250.

Mine is mounted up right now. Still gotta wire it into the dash right but i'll do that when i replace my burnt out dash lights. Got an SWR meter too so i can actually get some range outta this thing
dsc00359-jpg.13633

Kinda want to run a police scanner now that im doing this whole old school radio thing. Anyone know anything about them? I know they're ham based but you don't need a license unless you transmit. I also know they run a different type of connectors. I was looking at something thing like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniden-Bear...pt=US_Radio_Comm_Scanners&hash=item460d70305e, but i doubt i'd be able to fit it in a good spot in the ranger as room is tight. I would still like to have one in the powerwagon after its going.

James

Staff member
Kinda want to run a police scanner now that im doing this whole old school radio thing. Anyone know anything about them? I know they're ham based but you don't need a license unless you transmit. I also know they run a different type of connectors. I was looking at something thing like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniden-Bear...pt=US_Radio_Comm_Scanners&hash=item460d70305e, but i doubt i'd be able to fit it in a good spot in the ranger as room is tight. I would still like to have one in the powerwagon after its going.
I have an older version of this handheld scanner.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniden-BC75XLT-Police-Nascar-Racing-Scanner-2013-model-NEW-/290854561517

Picks up pretty much any frequency that you can think of (police, fire, ems, race teams (at events), air traffic control, etc). One thing to note though, some PD's are switching to digital radios which send encrypted signals.

James

Staff member
Yeah I teand to agree, when south bend was still using non digital the traffic on there was TA's, shootings, etc
Yeah the last ride-along I did with Elkhart I think we only had one call on the radio and that was a burglary in progress. The rest were all assigned via the in-car computer.

James

Staff member
Hmm good to know. Im sure we're digital here if you guys are. Sucks that i can't listen in though, i'd like to know what is going on locally.
I'm guessing that that was towards to top of their list for wanting to switch to digital. Other reasons most likely being that you can send data, for example dispatch can see who just hit the talk button on their radio without them saying anything. Not to mention the panic/emergency button features.

Worked a job/event a few years ago where we'd hired local PD for security as we had large sums of money on location. One of the officers accidentally hit his orange (panic) button and dispatch immediately know who it was and his location. Technology is amazing. :rocker: