Other Carb trouble

So I was on here about 5 months ago with carb trouble, you guys gave me great advice got it running let it sit for about 2-3 days and could not get it to stay running and i was just done with it.
Have some time now cleaned the 2 jet's again, got it running let it sit for a couple days and now same thing, I get it running and it just dies where 3 days ago it was running perfect, does it just need a good running, or more cleaning.
I just do not understand how it can be running perfect and then 2 days later its back to its normal ways, lol. Has fresh gas

If I had to guess (which is what I'm going to do) I'd say the needle and seat have issues maybe stuck needle or the float hanging up. It may be that when you disturb the carb it frees the float or needle to allow fuel in the bowl, Try tapping the carb with a wrench or screw driver then attempt to start it again. If it does that's where your problem lies.

Last edited:
'03 klx125l ?

I'm with the float for whatever reason. Definitely not enough fuel in the bowl to keep it running.

I think it's just gumming and he needs to add premix or a SeaFoam type of product to his fuel on top of cleaning the carb 3 times.

I have tried the sea foam multiple times didn't really help, but the float whenever I take the carb apart I touch it and it does Bob up and down so it seems to work but unsure, I'm make sure to do some research on it
Thanks guys!

I have tried the sea foam multiple times didn't really help, but the float whenever I take the carb apart I touch it and it does Bob up and down so it seems to work but unsure, I'm make sure to do some research on it
Thanks guys!

I have had this problem on my kids pw50 and his klx. You need to clean the carb thoroughly and then clean it again. Once it's done then add the seafoam. Seafoam alone won't fix it.

Thanks guys!

So, you believe that bobbing up and down is all the float is supposed to do? There are passages that go along with each jet, and if they are plugged up or partially plugged you can get the same thing you are describing. your case seems really extreme. how is the strainer on the fuel valve? fuel filter?

I have had this problem on my kids pw50 and his klx. You need to clean the carb thoroughly and then clean it again. Once it's done then add the seafoam. Seafoam alone won't fix it.
I have cleaned the carb 2 or 3 times now and poured enough seafoam in it and each jet I can always see through before I put them back in, I always make sure i can see through them. Umm I dont have a fuel filter took it off, mechanic told me its not necessary. umm the fuel valve though I have not checked, do not even know even if I have one

I have cleaned the carb 2 or 3 times now and poured enough seafoam in it and each jet I can always see through before I put them back in, I always make sure i can see through them. Umm I dont have a fuel filter took it off, mechanic told me its not necessary. umm the fuel valve though I have not checked, do not even know even if I have one

It's the little ports and stuff that clog. I use a gum cutter with a straw and blast everything out. Then I check the needle valve and set the floats. Once everything is cleaned out I add seafoam or stabil marine to the fuel with every fill up. It's a pain in the butt and even stumped me a few times which is why I always tell people, "clean the carb twice and then once more for good luck."

The fuel petcock where it bolts into the tank has a screen.

I am guessing that your idea of cleaning one and mine may be different: When I do one that has set long enough to varnish up the jets, I can assumed it also did that to the passages the jets control the flow to. I like submerging the carburetor in something like Gunk carburetor cleaner. 24-48 hours when I can. then I use compressed air with one of the "blowguns" with a rubber tip on it. I have done a couple of them recently similarly in pinesol and simplegreen. It has saved me from doing it and redoing it, when I could do it right the first time. I have very little faith in spray carb cleaners, but without access to an air compressor you can get an acceptable rinse with them.

They seem to pop back up. I still have an original shipping container for one of them from about 1980. The sole advantage over anything current (back when the vm mikuni was king it had several advanges, though not needing adjustment for altitude or ambient temp WAS NOT one of them) is that is atomizes fuel well when the engine is still cold. drag racers still look for them. the people who built and sold them were really quite helpful.