Carb?Too lean or too rich? HELP PLZ

Video of idle and red exhaust pipe above.

Ok, I know from jump something is wrong with carburetor. It leaks sometimes when Im trying to start bike but once bike is started, it doesnt leak.
Any idea on what the cause can be?

MORE DETAILS... Bike can idle on its own. It didnt cut off but exhaust pipe was glowing red. I know that can happen from idling too long and I think I did do that because I was trying to be careful with bike since I just did top and bottom end rebuild.

MORE DETAILS... When idling bike sounds good(I think). First start up took some kicks but 2nd and 3rd start up was easier, but I had to hit throttle a lil but like I said, once its started, it will idle on its own but when I was riding, I would hear an occasional pop here and there and still had the glowing red pipe when riding. Rode mainly in first gear but kicked it up to 2nd gear once but didnt drive no faster, just played with throttle, its dark out and was trying to be light on bike also.
Any help and some insight would be appreciated

Last edited:
Tough one here .. If carb leaks , float needs adjustment , or valve is not seating properly ... If too lean on pilot jet , it could be a problem .. what is pilot jet size ? Main jet ? Elevation ?

Tough one here .. If carb leaks , float needs adjustment , or valve is not seating properly ... If too lean on pilot jet , it could be a problem .. what is pilot jet size ? Main jet ? Elevation ?
Sorry, but those are things I dont know just yet. All of this is a first for me so Im learning and retaining all the information as I go. Never had to deal with carb just yet so have no idea what sizes of what are.
Bike is a 2008 YZ450F if that helps any.
I know sometimes, when it comes to certain symptoms, people have dealt with so much that after just hearing about a few symptoms they might likely know the cause, so was just tossing mine out to to see if anyone could point me in right direction.

Pull your plug to check if it's too lean or rich. BWM is right about the leaking carb is either a float level problem or leaky float valve. Has the bike set up for a while? Did you clean the carb?

Pull your plug to check if it's too lean or rich. BWM is right about the leaking carb is either a float level problem or leaky float valve. Has the bike set up for a while? Did you clean the carb?
When I pull plug what to look for to determine if lean or rich?
Yes it sat up for at least 6months before I did rebuild, possibly longer to be honest, cant remember so will say at least 6 months.
Carb would leak during start up before it sat.
No havent cleaned carb yet. I did purchase a rebuild kit for it, but was so excited after completing engine rebuild I just tossed carb back on.
Just trying to get possible issues for more experienced people, then I will look up how to check the things you guys suggest.
So when I get off work today will YT and google how to check float levle and float valve

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Howdy,
I would start with the idle is too high, which is helping that pipe glow, almost immediately I bet.
The carburetor will have numbers on the jets, record them while you're in there cleaning.
The float has a spec most likely in the manual you can measure from carburetor body itself.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Untitled-1.jpg

Good move . YT has some good info . ... and some not so good . Check out 2 - 3 different videos ..
Yup, lol. I usually binge watch, watch as many videos as I can on specific topic, since many tend to leave out something here and there, so I learned to watch many to collect as much information as possible

Howdy,
I would start with the idle is too high, which is helping that pipe glow, almost immediately I bet.
I will start with trying to tweak the idle today when Im off work since that seems like the simple task and within next few days get to taking carburetor off after I research bunch of videos and info, then next off day see whats up

When I pull plug what to look for to determine if lean or rich?
Yes it sat up for at least 6months before I did rebuild, possibly longer to be honest, cant remember so will say at least 6 months.
Carb would leak during start up before it sat.
No havent cleaned carb yet. I did purchase a rebuild kit for it, but was so excited after completing engine rebuild I just tossed carb back on.
Just trying to get possible issues for more experienced people, then I will look up how to check the things you guys suggest.
So when I get off work today will YT and google how to check float levle and float valve
If you're too rich, the plug will be black and sooty. If it's too lean, it will be ash white.

Keep in mind , this is a Race bike , not meant to sit idleing , but for hauling ass . Mine would start puking liquid if sitting for more than a couple minutes ... Kinda miss that bike ....

Carb didn't even look that bad but still rebuilt it and added an adjustable pilot screw.
All seems good. Was test riding and exhaust didnt get as red as yesterday mid day did, no carb leak. Started on first kick too.
Just want to thank everyone that chims in with help and direction. Months ago I didnt know shit(probably still dont) but I have now rebuilt my whole bottom and top end, carb as well physically by myself, and am now back to riding.
Actually feels accomplishing.
I'll see you boys soon when I have more questions

Attachments

• 20210909_170624.jpg
    20210909_170624.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210909_174753.jpg
    20210909_174753.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210909_174758.jpg
    20210909_174758.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 2