Camping in the desert's CA

Guys, can you tell me the deal on camping in the deserts like ocotillo and places like hungry valley etc.

I mean proper camping with a tent, do people do this?

Is it safe to do it alone?

I checked out some of the camp sites through google in the S.D. area in the deserts but they all look like R.V. and trailer camp sites.

I want to camp with my bike and van but in a tent, any advice would be sweet i'm all new to this. cheers

jim from england

yes it is safe in most places....but Hungry Valley is not the desert and it would be a place where some of the undesireables from LA show up on weekends. Tent camping in the desert can also be agony at times due to the wind and cold. So, it is a seasonal thing. In the summer most of us dont go to the desert to ride and camp cuz its too hot n dry. Traditionally the season here is from Thanksgiving thru Easter for the desert, best is once it rains a few times thru Easter. It has rained this year so its time to go..

SRAD97750

Staff member
Yes, the weather/wind dictates 100% whether you can tent camp or not.
But location is 100% up to you. Pretty much anywhere is fair game.
The places called 'campgrounds' just have toilets and sometimes shower facilities. Very basic. Very crowded.
I say get away from the crowds and find some kind of landmark to camp next to and LOVE the dez with us.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Here are some photos so you'll feel more comfortable and know more of what to expect.
First, Aim your rig into the dezert.

03.jpg

Push the throttle firmly and consistently through the sand until you find your ideal location.

04.jpg

Avoid "Campgrounds" at all costs.

05.jpg

Camp, keep an eye on your shit, lock it up at night.

10.jpg

12.JPG

Watch out Mo' Frockers! There's snakes in them there hills!

40.jpg

41.jpg

An even bigger danger is the trash people leave behind. It makes me sick.

42.jpg

RIDE in any and all directions...

46.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

Take in the beautiful sunsets every night.

50.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

-BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Those photos were taken from a sampling of ride reports on this website. Some mine, Some others.
Mostly all taken from the Mojave Desert north and east of the San Bernardino Mountain range. Maybe 2-3 hours from Ocotillo wells or Glamis if you wanted to check those places out as well. A few of us live in the middle of all of it.

Come camp with us anytime. -BIG DAN:thumb:

@Rack, Jim will be out in March 17-29th or so. I am going to try and get a weekend or day with him depending on what the plans are. Would love for you to show him north, if I show him south/central and maybe Dan can do central with us. We need to show the boy a good time.

Like Dan said.... Stay away from the RV/Camp locations. If you are going to have a van, then you really don't need a tent. Just a shovel, roll of toilet paper, couple 5 gallon containers of fresh water, cooler, and a stove/BBQ etc. This will get you through a couple of days.

@Rack, Jim will be out in March 17-29th or so. I am going to try and get a weekend or day with him depending on what the plans are. Would love for you to show him north, if I show him south/central and maybe Dan can do central with us. We need to show the boy a good time.

Like Dan said.... Stay away from the RV/Camp locations. If you are going to have a van, then you really don't need a tent. Just a shovel, roll of toilet paper, couple 5 gallon containers of fresh water, cooler, and a stove/BBQ etc. This will get you through a couple of days.

:thumb:

Maybe you can come north and join him.

awesome man awesome i cant wait

will have to sort some shit out !!

I'm trying to plan riding South CA for a week and Utah for a week

Yeah i was thinking of just camping in the van but what about the fumes from my bike ?:cheers:

If the bike is only in the van for transport, it should be aired out enough for sleeping at night. If it still bothers you, there's always alcohol.:devil:

You better clear the calendar for the date/week in So. Cal. and show him around the "Barstow" area. I could but I like having my Tim Tim GPS for a couple reasons...:smirk:

OK, spare parts if you plan on out of a van living for ten days or two weeks:

1-2 each? Front 21"/rear 19" tubes (how many is up to you).
I would get the IRC heavy duty tubes. 80/100X21 and 110/90X19
2-3 Air filters oiled and ready to install, gives you a 3-4 total. I use twin air and UNI cleaner/oil kit when out and about.
1-2 Spark Plugs extra (I run the iridium but they are 9.99 each over 4.99 for regular)
1-2 Bottles of Honda HP Trans oil, Trans takes 750 ml per change
4-6 Bottles of Yamalube 2-R 32oz (premix two stroke oil)
2 drain plug seals OEM
1 Bottle coolant (engine ice)
1 10 scoop paddle tire 19". 10 scoops is better than less and I have no idea on type/make, I don't do the dunes...
You will need to look into a flag mount and flag for the dunes. I might have a flag from my ATV days. I will look.
If you would like to buy my rear extra rim off me no problem or just use it is fine.
Might need extra chain 114-116 links for the paddle tire to clear properly. (just a thought)
Brake and Clutch lever. Don't know how he did it but even with bark busters my son broke one. (just a thought)
2 5 gallon gas cans and measuring cup 20 oz min for 32:1 premixing 4 oz per gallon.

Tools:
L=large, M=medium, S=small
When you get here I'll steer you to inexpensive that are good enough. Check Harbor Freight online...
1 Box of latex gloves (L/M/S)?
Tire irons
Hand/plug in pump
Metric wrench set
Metric Socket set and a few extensions
Metric Allen wrenches
5 in 1 screw driver (or a set)
Pliers set with needle/dike/adjustable
JB weld (5 minute epoxy)
little sand paper/emery cloth
Zip ties (L/M/S)

Bike Armor: