Buying advice.

I am looking at buying a 99 rm 125. It has a gold fatty pipe. Where the pipe attaches to the motor there is a small exhaust leak and a lot of oil build up. Is that normal for there to be a lot of oil at that exhaust leak? It does not smoke abnormally when the throttle is twisted.

I am looking at buying a 99 rm 125. It has a gold fatty pipe. Where the pipe attaches to the motor there is a small exhaust leak and a lot of oil build up. Is that normal for there to be a lot of oil at that exhaust leak? It does not smoke abnormally when the throttle is twisted.
typically that is normal in my experience. It probably just needs new exhaust orings and the powervalve cleaned. However i would ask when the last top end was put in because obviously the cylinder hasn't been cleaned off in a while.

He did tell me that it floods after riding it for a bit. He said he cleaned the carb but it still floods. He thought maybe it needed a rebuild? Or even a replacement for about $100?

He did tell me that it floods after riding it for a bit. He said he cleaned the carb but it still floods. He thought maybe it needed a rebuild? Or even a replacement for about $100?
Yeah top ends are not a big deal. I think top end kits are 90$ for all the gaskets, bearings, piston, and rings for my 125. But if the cylinder needs re-plated its another ~200$

What is he asking for it? and you can pull that pipe off in about 5 minutes and replace the O rings on the pipe. The pipe could have some serious carbon build up around the ring of the neck not allowing the exhaust to flow properly. All simple fixes.

The bike plus a nice aluminum loading ramp for $750. What say you?
I would offer him 650 cash and tell him you are walking into a land mine. You will have to spend another 200-300 just to get it to stable riding condition. How are the tires? Have you checked the wheel bearings, the linkage bearings, stem bearings, forks leaking?? etc, etc etc, you need to convince him that he needs to pay you to take it off his hands :smirk:

Woah woah woah! How difficult is it to do this stuff? I am technically inclined but electronically more so than mechanically. I can tackle just about any task but I would hate to mess the bike up.

You can do anything on a motorcycle if you know how to turn a wrench and use google. And its not probable all this stuff will be bad, but the seller doesn't have to know that :thumb:

Woah woah woah! How difficult is it to do this stuff? I am technically inclined but electronically more so than mechanically. I can tackle just about any task but I would hate to mess the bike up.
If you replace the top end, you are going to have to remove the reed block anyway. Plus its a two stroke. So its an easy rebuild. Its a great place to learn the basics on doing any rebuild.

None of it is rocket science. It is all pretty simple work. Just get a good manual and ask as many questions as you need to:thumb: we are all here to help. trust me. I was newby once too. Now I can completely rebuild my motor and forks etc with full confidence.

He claims its a $1000 bike. You can tell he has been riding it. It definitely has not been in the garage. Tires are MAYBE 30%. . BUT its $750 for an rm 125...they don't get under $1500 around here.