Break-In procedure?? 2 Stroke

Ive always did a few different heat cycles.. But its been awhile since ive broke in a 2 stroke engine... And ive just been looking around on the internet and figured i would post a thread here on DBA ..

So guys tell me how do it :smirk:

The way i do it is the three heat cycle, first one is a 10min idle with a few small blips of the throttle then a complete cool down. The second just going up and down the road going through all the gears never above half throttle then complete cool down. Last one let her rip through all the gears. Done!

One important note and this always applies is never just jump on the bike and rip on it while cold especially with forged piston. You can get a cold seize. Where the heat of the piston expands faster than the cylinder and locks up. Always let the bike warm up good before running it hard. I like to feel the radiator, once it is warm I know the cylinder is warm.

The way i do it is the three heat cycle, first one is a 10min idle with a few small blips of the throttle then a complete cool down. The second just going up and down the road going through all the gears never above half throttle then complete cool down. Last one let her rip through all the gears. Done!

One important note and this always applies is never just jump on the bike and rip on it while cold especially with forged piston. You can get a cold seize. Where the heat of the piston expands faster than the cylinder and locks up. Always let the bike warm up good before running it hard. I like to feel the radiator, once it is warm I know the cylinder is warm.

h dang...thats nice to know, next time i ride ill let my bike warm up...i usually just kick it over rev it a few times then BRAAAAP!

Perfect timing on this thread. part should be here tonight and I will be up all night putting it together so my son can ride it tomorrow.:shocked:

Perfect timing on this thread. part should be here tonight and I will be up all night putting it together so my son can ride it tomorrow.:shocked:

Crap, I know you will be rushing to getter together but try to take some build pics :thumb: just snap a few and put them up later if you can. I should have done my sons when we did it over the winter but didn't think of it.

That is basically what ive done...But i added another step before getting on and ripping ...lol... I did the half throttle thing twice...

SRAD97750

Staff member
There are 1000 methods for engine break-in that are "recommended" by someone. I happen to use the LA sleeve one.
http://www.lasleeve.com/documents/2-stroke-break-in-procedures.pdf

In the end, "heat cycles" are what matters. A complete, gradual warm up and complete internal cool down. Multiple heat cycles is all you're looking for. Get the parts mated properly without causing damage.

While operating the engine, with the throttle you want to create positive and negative pressures inside the cylinder. Never cruising. Cruising is the same as idle (to the rings/piston), and you'll do enough of that without trying.
This pressure seats the rings in the piston grooves and against the imperfect contours of the cylinder.
Too quick of a warm up or too much oil can cause glazing of the cylinder, where the rings ride on the oil instead of the cylinder walls. This is why richening the pre-mix is not advisable.
Too little lubrication can cause seizure or premature wear of the rings. Use your normal pre-mix ratio.

Once you have a few heat cycles, you're good to go. The LA Sleeve method incorporates jetting instructions into the break-in.
-BIG DAN

This is the way I'll do it next. I used to do the short heat cycles thing, but I've been hearing alot of good shizzle about running it hard right off the stand.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

no doing it that way can lead to premature wear and tear on other parts, and who's to say your not damaging the rings in the process? Breaking it in hard could cause unnecessary stress your engine.

h dang...thats nice to know, next time i ride ill let my bike warm up...i usually just kick it over rev it a few times then BRAAAAP!

:picard:

no doing it that way can lead to premature wear and tear on other parts, and who's to say your not damaging the rings in the process? Breaking it in hard could cause unnecessary stress your engine.

Then we can agree to disagree. Because I've had some very mechanically smart MoFo's tell me even though you want to take it easy, just in case, running it hard, with throttle position changes, is the best thing to do. Sure, get it together in the shop, start it it and idle, with a few blips, but then shut her down, and wait until you can "do work." :devil:

Well guys I'm not sure what method I followed. I rode the bike just around the neighbor hood at about 1/2-3/4 thottle for 10-15 minutes then let it cool for oh 10 minutes, then ran it a little harder for 5-10 minutes (Neighbors were giving me the eye at that point) Let it cool. Then turned the boy loose for 27+- miles of a little of everything!

She starts good, seems to have good power, and has over 60 miles on the rebuild with a kid riding it for the 2nd time. Guess we will wait and see.