Boy, rides with the big boys!

Well as you all know my son's first time out took the crank out of the KTM65. I ordered parts and promised in 2 weeks we would go riding. Well two weeks came and the parts showed up friday night. Now let me tell you this was my first rebuild. So at 6pm I split the case, which was a nightmare cause one of the bearings was stuck on the crank. So I worked it and worked it and finally got the crank out with the bearing still stuck too it. Now keep in mind this is my first rebuild. 8pm rolls around and the new bearing and seals are in to I grab my new Tust crank puller and guess what the nuts that come with it won't fit the crank. So I jump in the truck with the old crank and run for the store to find a couple nuts...No luck no one had the 14mm nut I needed. Damn now what!

Called a friend of mine and he told me to heat up the bearings and then shove the crank in as fast as I could. Grabbed the torch and watching the seals I started to heat things up. Then I hurry and shoved the crank in. Worked like a charm. Finally wife made me come in for dinner with the family. 10pm My wife said you need to come in and watch a movie with the family. (I complained and asked the kids what do you want me to do?) My son says can you work on it a bit longer please.....Okay. I got out of the movie and back in the garage.

Well 2am the bike was ready to start. Instead of going for it I figured I would get in bed get some sleep and double check in all in the morning since I was tired.

7am up and in the garage checking all the fluids one more time. Everything is a go.

1 kick....nothing
2 kicks nothing
3 kicks nothing
(I start to worry)
I start to cuss...
8 Did it just try?
9 Oh it did!
10 She fired wahoo! Listen to her purr.

After some break in and such we loaded the bikes he could hardly stand himself. It was just him and I and we were headed for the desert. This was only his second time on the bike and he was still learning the clutch. I figured what better place to learn then just a dirt road. We headed out through the desert and after 28 miles we were back to the truck. He did great! Never had an issue and was dying to go again.

So we threw some more fuel in and headed to the cycle park. After 13+ miles at the cycle park he was wearing down.....so we called it good and headed home for the night.

Next morning the whole family and a buddy of mine loaded up for a ride with my parents. My boy on his 65sx, me on my wr250 and my buddy on a Suzuki 450, everyone else on 4 wheelers. Well of course the bikes took off and rode together and let the 4 wheelers catch up now and then. My boy did awesome. We had to cross a pretty big creek six times and he only killed it once. I had an idea he might cause it sucked to cross so when it died I ran into the creek so he wouldn't dump the bike over. (Didn't need anymore KTM fish stories) :lol:

My boy did great as we put another 27 miles on his bike. Now I didn't get so lucky. I took a rough little spill. My shoulder got a little tore up and my chest is a little brused up. Took the air out of me and a little spunk out of my riding for the rest the day but I just reassured my son that is why we wear gear. As he looked at my brused chest and my shoulder and arm bleeding. :lol:

Anyways my boy had a blast and is figuring out the little KTM. Thanks to all that gave me advise on the little machine. I think its going to be a lot of fun.:thumb:

Nice work. It is fun when you get your kids on a bike and they start to improve with every ride. I just put mine on a 450 KTM just to see if he can touch the ground and he can. :shocked: That was a big mistake. :thinking:

Well as you all know my son's first time out took the crank out of the KTM65. I ordered parts and promised in 2 weeks we would go riding. Well two weeks came and the parts showed up friday night. Now let me tell you this was my first rebuild. So at 6pm I split the case, which was a nightmare cause one of the bearings was stuck on the crank. So I worked it and worked it and finally got the crank out with the bearing still stuck too it. Now keep in mind this is my first rebuild. 8pm rolls around and the new bearing and seals are in to I grab my new Tust crank puller and guess what the nuts that come with it won't fit the crank. So I jump in the truck with the old crank and run for the store to find a couple nuts...No luck no one had the 14mm nut I needed. Damn now what!

Called a friend of mine and he told me to heat up the bearings and then shove the crank in as fast as I could. Grabbed the torch and watching the seals I started to heat things up. Then I hurry and shoved the crank in. Worked like a charm. Finally wife made me come in for dinner with the family. 10pm My wife said you need to come in and watch a movie with the family. (I complained and asked the kids what do you want me to do?) My son says can you work on it a bit longer please.....Okay. I got out of the movie and back in the garage.

Well 2am the bike was ready to start. Instead of going for it I figured I would get in bed get some sleep and double check in all in the morning since I was tired.

7am up and in the garage checking all the fluids one more time. Everything is a go.

"
1 kick....nothing
2 kicks nothing
3 kicks nothing
(I start to worry)
I start to cuss...
8 Did it just try?
9 Oh it did!
10 She fired wahoo! Listen to her purr.
"I can't reacall ever having gone through this type of ordeal...:thinking:"

After some break in and such we loaded the bikes he could hardly stand himself. It was just him and I and we were headed for the desert. This was only his second time on the bike and he was still learning the clutch. I figured what better place to learn then just a dirt road. We headed out through the desert and after 28 miles we were back to the truck. He did great! Never had an issue and was dying to go again.

So we threw some more fuel in and headed to the cycle park. After 13+ miles at the cycle park he was wearing down.....so we called it good and headed home for the night.

Next morning the whole family and a buddy of mine loaded up for a ride with my parents. My boy on his 65sx, me on my wr250 and my buddy on a Suzuki 450, everyone else on 4 wheelers. Well of course the bikes took off and rode together and let the 4 wheelers catch up now and then. My boy did awesome. We had to cross a pretty big creek six times and he only killed it once. I had an idea he might cause it sucked to cross so when it died I ran into the creek so he wouldn't dump the bike over. (Didn't need anymore KTM fish stories) :lol:

My boy did great as we put another 27 miles on his bike. Now I didn't get so lucky. I took a rough little spill. My shoulder got a little tore up and my chest is a little brused up. Took the air out of me and a little spunk out of my riding for the rest the day but I just reassured my son that is why we wear gear. As he looked at my brused chest and my shoulder and arm bleeding. :lol:

Anyways my boy had a blast and is figuring out the little KTM. Thanks to all that gave me advise on the little machine. I think its going to be a lot of fun.:thumb:

Sounds like you had a god time after all your hard work

He turned 11 on the second of may.:thumb:

I cant wait till my son is big enough(he is almost 7) to ride the crf80 i have so he can learn a clutch and is able to do stuff like in your story. Im pretty sure he will be gung ho about it. Right now on his 50 he wont get off till we tell him to.

Here are the only pictures I took. Took these while I was riding so they aren't the greatest. :lol:

100_0108.jpg

100_0109.jpg

100_0114.jpg

100_0115.jpg