Bike for my 8yr. Old

i have been out riding for awhile. My son wants to get a bike after a trip to the track. He is 8 and big for his age. All I saw at the track was ktm 65. What's your thoughts for a kid just starting out. I need bike and gear info.

Welcome Dnolan.
At 8 and big for his age the best bet right now is an xr70 or a klx110.
The klx has a throttle governor to keep him under control if need be and you can remove the restrictors if need be once he is up to speed. Buy these bikes used as they grow out of them quickly. Yamaha also makes a PW90 and a ttr90. Those are also excellent bikes to learn on. I think they both have adjustable throttle set screws to restrict speed as needed. The pw90 is the best choice since it's a 2stroke and lighter and easier to start.
Enjoy!

Welcome!

Every kid is different some kids are total squirrels when they first start out and some hop on and end up being naturals. Your best bet would probably be to get him one of the bikes Mike listed above, they are very tame. The klx110/drz110, xr70, crf70, pw80 will all do just fine for track use while your son is still in the beginner stages. If your kid already has a good grasp on driving/riding motorized vehicles I say go right for a 65. In addition to the Ktm 65sx there's also the Kawsaki KX65 to consider. I made a smooth transition to the kx60 after only riding a pw50 and here I am still alive today!

If you could explain further on what you'd like to know about gear we might be able to help you out!

Welcome.
Entry level to high dollar. I put my kids in the following:
HJC are good helmets.
ONeil are good boots.
Once they stop that growing thing, get better equipment.

Take your kid down to the local bike shop. Have him try on gear. Then go home and get on rockymountainmc.com (there's tons of other online retailers obviously they are just my personal preference). You will probably be able to find him some cheap last years gear on there. Only thing to look for when buying a helmet is DOT approved! :thumb:

To start a good helmet goggles and gloves. Cheap work boots and jeans with a long sleeve shirt will handle the job until he starts really twisting the throttle.

I try to save money too, but I cant go along with using the stock that a business owner pays to put on his shelf and pays rent on the shelf and or pays for someone to wait on me. Then send my money to someone who never sees the product.

If you want to order things like that online; fine. Try on stuff your friends own and send it back if online orders don't fit.

Our bunch has a kx 60 in the group. Pw 50's. Ttr90's and a couple of pw 80's before a scum of the earth took those two. I saw two beginners start on the 60 who could just reach the ground. I was surprised at how quickly they took to it. neither had time on anything with any ki nd of shift mechanism. Its an early water cooled 60 and is geared down slightly (3) additional teeth on the back). It starts out really well. I wouldn't have expected it.