Bike for a woman?

Hey guys, new member here and looking for some advice. My wife wants a dirt bike for trail riding and gravel road cruising mostly, but if it’s street legal then that might be a bonus. I’ve been an ATV rider my whole life so I’m not up on dirt bikes. We have both owned Harley cruisers so we’re not total beginners. My wife had a Harley 883 Custom but it was borderline too big for her. She’s only 5’3” but she is strong. She needs something she can sit on and still touch in order to feel comfortable and something that the bars won’t feel so far away like her Harley did.

This is gonna have to be a used bike and I’m not even sure what to budget for a bike that might fit the bill for her. I was hoping to stay under $1500, but I may be way out of the ballpark. Again, I’m not up on dirt bike values or trends. So really, I’m open to suggestions for make, models, and what I could reasonably expect to pay for something. We’re not serious riders, but my son is getting really good on his 50cc ATV and I have a 500 ATV, so the wife wants to tag along for trail rides and she definitely wants a bike and not an ATV.

Hey guys, new member here and looking for some advice. My wife wants a dirt bike for trail riding and gravel road cruising mostly, but if it’s street legal then that might be a bonus. I’ve been an ATV rider my whole life so I’m not up on dirt bikes. We have both owned Harley cruisers so we’re not total beginners. My wife had a Harley 883 Custom but it was borderline too big for her. She’s only 5’3” but she is strong. She needs something she can sit on and still touch in order to feel comfortable and something that the bars won’t feel so far away like her Harley did.

This is gonna have to be a used bike and I’m not even sure what to budget for a bike that might fit the bill for her. I was hoping to stay under $1500, but I may be way out of the ballpark. Again, I’m not up on dirt bike values or trends. So really, I’m open to suggestions for make, models, and what I could reasonably expect to pay for something. We’re not serious riders, but my son is getting really good on his 50cc ATV and I have a 500 ATV, so the wife wants to tag along for trail rides and she definitely wants a bike and not an ATV.

Welcome!!
Here try this. I like these bikes. Cheap tough reliable and a DS.

I have two daughters, they are both under 5'5" they both ride 250 MX bikes in the woods and mountains, my youngest daughter picked up an old '99 KX250 for 1200$ I have ridden this bike and am very impressed at how trail worthy it is. The thing I should mention though is they both have ridden for about the last 15 years so are very seasoned, that being said everybody has different skill levels and learning curves, so look around for bikes in your budget and have her sit on them to kinda see if she feels more comfortable with the weight,height of the bike and the layout of the controls. The rest is basicaly not to be known until she aquires some seat time. Hope you guys find the right bike and welcome to DBA.

00w0w_qWQ8yLT3a1_600x450.jpg

electric start

crf230 $1900

This may be a dumb question, but what about the 2-stroke 85cc models? There are a ton of them for sale locally to me that look very clean and are priced about $1k to $1100. I know they are more MX style bikes and they’re quick, but do they make good trail bikes? Are they too small for my wife? She’s 5’3” and probably 140lbs.

This may be a dumb question, but what about the 2-stroke 85cc models? There are a ton of them for sale locally to me that look very clean and are priced about $1k to $1100. I know they are more MX style bikes and they’re quick, but do they make good trail bikes? Are they too small for my wife? She’s 5’3” and probably 140lbs.

little MX bikes do not make very good trail bikes. 2 strokes that are MX and ridden trail need to be ridden hard every once and while to clear the oil in the fuel chamber that didn't burn or you will foul plugs. Unless it is jetted leaner, this will be a factor. Her skill level of a heavier bike is great since she had a 883. I would maybe up the $$ and find the 4 stroke CRF150, bikes from 2003 ish years. they are kick, but start easy. The 230 is a great trail bike, I'v had one since new in 2005 and all my kids road it. It is now my youngest daughters primary. she is about 5'4" 125-ish, and the bike is not to big or heavy for her.

85’s are a handful on the track, never mind the trail. Not a good choice imo.

Guys, I got a lead on what I think would be a decent bike for my wife. It’s a 1989 KLR 250 with 13k miles. Looks to be in good shape. Owner sent a video of him cold starting and it fired right up. No smoke, no engine noise. Only issue is he believes there is a short in the electrical because the lights used to work, but don’t anymore. Said it could be a bad ground too. I don’t know though. Seat cover is cracked, but that’s a small issue. That’s all I can tell is wrong with it.

Here are some photos. Let me know what you think it would be worth. He’s asking $1000

Welcome..:wave:
May be out of budget but the KTM Freeride is a sweet scooter. Light, 250 2 stroke with lights and can be equip to be street legal. It already has the horn button. Low profile seat and weight is around 200lbs. Electric start only. I owned one until last Oct and sold it, but was a great bike to chase the grandkids around on. You can lug it as it is trials bike friendly. It also did well on big boy rides.