Beta 520RS after 6 months

It's been pretty good overall. I'm still not as used to the bike as I was on the old one(93 XR600), but it has many better attributes. It will take a couple of years until I really get to know the bike 100%.

I'm only at about 30 hours as I really haven't been able to ride like I want to. Not sure of the mileage, but most of those hours have been on really tough first gear trails. The miles don't pile up in that mode. Guessing I've got 700 or so. Cant get at the bike right at the moment unless I pull some stuff out into the rain.

I require a bike with a plate, but then it spends it's time on the gnarliest trails I can find. Kind or ironic, or perhaps crazy. It's the only way I'll have it though. I've ridden many a black diamond trail that ends as a road. It's so nice to be able to then ride the pavement back to camp.

The bad
  1. The seat. Need something softer. There are options.
  2. I had a fuel related issue on my second ride. I was half way through an double black diamond trail and problems set it. Dual issues with the emissions vacuum lines and the carb float valve. Thank God for the kick starter or I would have been stuck. I preformed an emission-ectomy and all has been fine since.
  3. It boils over easy in the tough going. Hardly unexpected. I'll be adding a fan when I get around to it.
  4. Low ground clearance. I've whacked the skid plate really really hard a couple of times. Good thing I got that beefier skid plate because it's recieved some use.
The good
  1. The range. On the long range rides I've average about 45mpg. On the tough rides I could never go through a tank of gas in a day.
  2. The front tire stays planted like it's velcro. My old bike would wash out so easily in comparison. Is it the suspension, frame gemoetry, weight? The difference is not minor and I like it.
  3. The suspension even though I've not yet done the springs or played with the clickers.
  4. The low end torque. It's not the stump puller like the XR, but it's better than any other new bike I've ever tried. It's a good thing because it's very central to my riding style.
  5. The smoothness. With a carb setup like this who needs fuel injection. I think that after removing the smog stuff that I need to jet slightly richer.
  6. The juice. It might not quite be as strong as the 600 was at 1500 rpm, but everywhere else it hauls. When I had the 14/45 gearing I had it up to 95 and I think it would have hit 100 given enough road. With the trials tire, I can lift the front wheel at will as long as the revs are not near idle levels.

Cleonard,

Thanks for the review on the Beta. We were going to get one because we are very good friends with the Beta dealer here in Las Vegas, Sportsman Cycle. With that said, we were apprehensive due to parts availability and cost. Sounds like your bad notes are really nothing and your good notes are great to hear. Sounds like you were being honest with us about your machine. I know it's easy to be biased on your dirt bike when you spent a lot of money on it. I found with my bikes is that it took a wide range of terrain to really pick them apart. While no bike is perfect, some bikes are more perfect for some people than others :)

For your boiling issue, may I recommend something that has worked for me as well as a cap (not sure what radiator cap fits your machine):
http://www.powersportjunkie.com/Maxima-Lubricants-84916-p/tr-530920.htm

I believe TM Designworks makes a chain guide too for your machine, I/'d get that on there with a quickness!

Thanks again for posting up your review on the Beta! We need more info on these dirt bikes being pushed out there.

Brock
-www.shoppsj.com
-www.powersportjunkie.com

Compared to my 08 Husky TE450 EFI, I am liking many things and missing others.

As you know I did the BYOB Not sure of the hours but it is just under 1200 miles
Not so good
Ordered the softer seat and it is still harder than my Renozco on the Husky. I might try and order the ultra soft I have seen on line.
I had some issues with the float as well, bike drown itself while parked and filled up the left side case with gas because of the breather hose. That is now routed to a K&N filter and plugged at the carb. All the other smog stuff fell off. HAHA No issued since.
Did not like 10,000 feet, had nothing but problems, but that was before the emissions crap fell off.
It now has the 2013 auto decompression setup on it because they figured out the 2012 was not working properly.
Valve cover has been seeping ever since that was done with the valve check, so I will see about warranty on the gasket or something, it was done at the shop.
My red button kill switch is sticking in and it takes some prying to to get it back out, also see about warranty. I never use it but I let a guy ride it and that is how he shut it off, I just use the key like I have for years on my Husky.
The EarthX batteries are junk IMHO, the first one died in three-four weeks and this one will be replaced by the stocker if it craps out. (I think EarthX warrantied it. So far so good with the new one).
Bars are a little low for my preference and I ordered the riser kit, come to find out the front brake line is so short it is rubbing the edge off the speedo head and there is no way I can add 10mm spacer without buying a longer line.
Bike does have a lower ground clearance and I have sunk the tire, but not slammed the skid plate. I am hoping George at Uptite has his done by Christmas. It will have better side coverage and I need that for sure.
Good
Doing the BYOB saved on a bunch of $$ in the long run on some stuff
The suspension set up for my weight is perfect.
Damper, fan kit, etc. is great and less expensive in the long run.
The turning radius on this bike is great for switchbacks in both directions.
Power delivery feels like my TE450EFI no lie.
Balance of the bike feels sweet even at low speed technical.
Gearing is 14/45 and it tractors up what ever I point it at.
Still getting used to it in the sand washes, stock front is not what I usually run on it but every tire has its limits.
Trials tire on the rear is a gripper for sure and the front seams light when you crack the throttle.
Has the Uptite exhaust and she came alive even more.
If you have not yet put a carb filter on it I highly recommend because the carb sucks hard through the breathers and mine was very dirty without.
Talk to you soon and hopefully get together for a ride some time.

I got nothing to hide from the KTM clowns.

Parts? Really..What a joke!!!!
I smashed my radiator out in Co. ended my riding but it was the last day anyhow. Got home, ordered it from Uptite and it was there in two days. Yah, parts are going to be a problem. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA People that worry about parts availability, WHAT EVER!
Buy a KTM..

Compared to my 08 Husky TE450 EFI, I am liking many things and missing others.

As you know I did the BYOB Not sure of the hours but it is just under 1200 miles
Not so good
Ordered the softer seat and it is still harder than my Renozco on the Husky. I might try and order the ultra soft I have seen on line.
I had some issues with the float as well, bike drown itself while parked and filled up the left side case with gas because of the breather hose. That is now routed to a K&N filter and plugged at the carb. All the other smog stuff fell off. HAHA No issued since.
Did not like 10,000 feet, had nothing but problems, but that was before the emissions crap fell off.
It now has the 2013 auto decompression setup on it because they figured out the 2012 was not working properly.
Valve cover has been seeping ever since that was done with the valve check, so I will see about warranty on the gasket or something, it was done at the shop.
My red button kill switch is sticking in and it takes some prying to to get it back out, also see about warranty. I never use it but I let a guy ride it and that is how he shut it off, I just use the key like I have for years on my Husky.
The EarthX batteries are junk IMHO, the first one died in three-four weeks and this one will be replaced by the stocker if it craps out. (I think EarthX warrantied it. So far so good with the new one).
Bars are a little low for my preference and I ordered the riser kit, come to find out the front brake line is so short it is rubbing the edge off the speedo head and there is no way I can add 10mm spacer without buying a longer line.
Bike does have a lower ground clearance and I have sunk the tire, but not slammed the skid plate. I am hoping George at Uptite has his done by Christmas. It will have better side coverage and I need that for sure.
Good
Doing the BYOB saved on a bunch of $$ in the long run on some stuff
The suspension set up for my weight is perfect.
Damper, fan kit, etc. is great and less expensive in the long run.
The turning radius on this bike is great for switchbacks in both directions.
Power delivery feels like my TE450EFI no lie.
Balance of the bike feels sweet even at low speed technical.
Gearing is 14/45 and it tractors up what ever I point it at.
Still getting used to it in the sand washes, stock front is not what I usually run on it but every tire has its limits.
Trials tire on the rear is a gripper for sure and the front seams light when you crack the throttle.
Has the Uptite exhaust and she came alive even more.
If you have not yet put a carb filter on it I highly recommend because the carb sucks hard through the breathers and mine was very dirty without.
Talk to you soon and hopefully get together for a ride some time.

I got nothing to hide from the KTM clowns.

Parts? Really..What a joke!!!!
I smashed my radiator out in Co. ended my riding but it was the last day anyhow. Got home, ordered it from Uptite and it was there in two days. Yah, parts are going to be a problem. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA People that worry about parts availability, WHAT EVER!
Buy a KTM..

:thumb:

Nice write up MastaBeta aka P841. :smirk:

Parts? People are afraid that it will be like KTM of 15 years ago. Not that I've needed much, but from what I can tell there is really no issue with availability. They will fly over anything from Italy that they don't have in Paso Robles. Heck sales went up some this year and they air shipped entire bikes.

You must not point your bike at the same obstacles that I do. I had issues with 14/45. I went to 13/48 for the tech stuff. Giant improvement. I put the 14 back on for less technical riding. With the central sprocket bolt, it's not nearly as easy to swap as the XR. The torque on that bolt is real high and I plan on only reusing it 4 times or so.

After my 6hr45 minute seat time ride my ass and the rest of my body were not on speaking terms. I think I rode the last 70 miles back from Cal City standing the whole way.

My bike came with MT21's and even that front sticks so good it amazes me. Yes, even in the sand.

I've got those oil seeps and at least one more from the kickstarter I think. It really doesn't bother me as much as I though it would. I'm about to do the valve check and I'll try a new gasket.

My battery is a joke. Still got the original, but it will not start the bike anymore if it's in gear. I can start it with the kick starter in gear. I think that I'll go with one of the lithium batteries.

I'll get that filter for the vents.

Parts? People are afraid that it will be like KTM of 15 years ago. Not that I've needed much, but from what I can tell there is really no issue with availability. They will fly over anything from Italy that they don't have in Paso Robles. Heck sales went up some this year and they air shipped entire bikes.

You must not point your bike at the same obstacles that I do. I had issues with 14/45. I went to 13/48 for the tech stuff. Giant improvement. I put the 14 back on for less technical riding. With the central sprocket bolt, it's not nearly as easy to swap as the XR. The torque on that bolt is real high and I plan on only reusing it 4 times or so.

After my 6hr45 minute seat time ride my ass and the rest of my body were not on speaking terms. I think I rode the last 70 miles back from Cal City standing the whole way.

My bike came with MT21's and even that front sticks so good it amazes me. Yes, even in the sand.

I've got those oil seeps and at least one more from the kickstarter I think. It really doesn't bother me as much as I though it would. I'm about to do the valve check and I'll try a new gasket.

My battery is a joke. Still got the original, but it will not start the bike anymore if it's in gear. I can start it with the kick starter in gear. I think that I'll go with one of the lithium batteries.

Lets ride Spangler the weekend before New Years. CDA and I have not been able to locate the Royal Flush. We went looking twice over TDay.

Parts? People are afraid that it will be like KTM of 15 years ago. Not that I've needed much, but from what I can tell there is really no issue with availability. They will fly over anything from Italy that they don't have in Paso Robles. Heck sales went up some this year and they air shipped entire bikes. That is what I have seen also. Complete bikes are hitting the floor left and right. And the 300 2T has me drooling.

You must not point your bike at the same obstacles that I do. I had issues with 14/45. I went to 13/48 for the tech stuff. Giant improvement. I put the 14 back on for less technical riding. With the central sprocket bolt, it's not nearly as easy to swap as the XR. The torque on that bolt is real high and I plan on only reusing it 4 times or so. That would have to be a true statement, I believe that that 1st and second are great gears for hills, rollers and such, hit 3rd and its almost a do all gear in what I have been riding out in the Dez.

After my 6hr45 minute seat time ride my ass and the rest of my body were not on speaking terms. I think I rode the last 70 miles back from Cal City standing the whole way. I hear you on that. I have the soft seat from BYOB but there is a "super soft" also I noticed on the Parts catalog.

My bike came with MT21's and even that front sticks so good it amazes me. Yes, even in the sand. I have the MT43 Trials on the rear as ordered, the front is a MT21 also but I find the lugs to big for soft sand cornering. I am going to the Pirelli XCMH for a try.

I've got those oil seeps and at least one more from the kickstarter I think. It really doesn't bother me as much as I though it would. I'm about to do the valve check and I'll try a new gasket. I have that oil seep on the back of the kick start housing and right on top of the center case under the carb. Those two don't bother me as much as the cam plug Valve cover side.

My battery is a joke. Still got the original, but it will not start the bike anymore if it's in gear. I can start it with the kick starter in gear. I think that I'll go with one of the lithium batteries. The EarthX that is part of the BYOB program was not great on the first round as I said. This one has been great so far. Problem with the Lithium and Beta is Stator. Not enough juice to keep a strong charge if you do little rides. If the lithium (EarthX) goes under 7v it's a goner. Other ones are even higher in the dead zone like under 11v and they are done. Look into it good before you purchase.

Worth it's weight in gold. [quote]

Lets ride Spangler the weekend before New Years. CDA and I have not been able to locate the Royal Flush. We went looking twice over TDay.

If the weather's not too bad.

And by the way, you had better be careful what you wish for. (evil giggle)

I'll be doing the stator mod for 100 watts of DC using the trailtech regulator. That should help with the battery. I understand the limitations of the lithium batteries pretty well. You just have to be careful.

I had a XCMH front on my 600. Worst sand tire ever. I bought it because the side knobs have the rep of not ripping of. As expected I still have the side knobs but the soft terrain traction sucked big time.

I'll be doing the stator mod for 100 watts of DC using the trailtech regulator. That should help with the battery. I understand the limitations of the lithium batteries pretty well. You just have to be careful.

Did you ever do this? Id like to get educated on the 100 watt mod.

Did you ever do this? Id like to get educated on the 100 watt mod.

Yes I did. The procedure is essentially exactly the same as for a KTM. The Trailtech reg with the KTM connectors might even work. I did not go that route though. I went with the no connector regulator and then found the matching connectors to the bike wire harness.

Works great.

Yes I did. The procedure is essentially exactly the same as for a KTM. The Trailtech reg with the KTM connectors might even work. I did not go that route though. I went with the no connector regulator and then found the matching connectors to the bike wire harness.

Works great.

Hey Palmer , you read that? Beta is the same as a KTM.
:poke: