Beating the Heat!

My parents decided to sell their house in FLA, and got all panicky about getting it perfect first. So In June I planned a trip down in the 3rd week of July to help them out as they are in their 80's and still try to do stuff they shouldn't be doing. I picked the hottest damn week in the world! I had to paint the house, replace a fence, replace a pump and pieces/parts on the pool thingy, completely re-do the landscaping,replace broken fans, etc, etc...

My head and face melted into a steaming pile the first day. Temp was "just 96" but with 80% humidity the heat index was in the 110's. And the sun is so much more...intense down here vs Ohio.

Here are my tips de jour on beating the heat that actually made it doable.

Get a 'boonie" hat, a thick white hand towel, and a quart ziplock bag. Put the towel on your head so it drapes over your ears and neck. Fill the quart bag with ice and punch some holes in it on one side. Put the bag on top of the towel on your head, holes down, and but the boonie hat on top of the ice to keep it secure. The ice melts into the towel and down your neck and back! It kicks ass! Sure, you look like Captain Poulet' of the French Foreign Legion, but who cares?

I was wearing a flexible elastic lifting belt when yanking out old fence posts and dead bushes. I went out and bought a half dozen of those blue, flexible plastic freezer paks that you use in coolers. I stuck a couple of those under the lifting belt around my kidney area. Wow! That made a huge difference! Change them out every 1/2 hour!

Thought I'd pass on my "beat the heat" McGyver's this week. I would not have gotten done what I did without them.

Optional beer cooling tip: In order to get enough H2O in you, but still manage to keep down the population of beers in the fridge, I got a 24 oz insulated cup filled with ice and water. My rule was that you drink half the water, and drink a cold beer. You put your next beer in the half empty ice water cup to keep it cold. Before you can drink the next frosty malted goodness, you had to drink the ice water it was sitting in. This maintains a nice one to one relationship, prevents cheating, manages local beer populations, and keeps you from falling over from dehydration.

I lost 12 lbs this week. :thinking:

:thumb:

80% :wow: here if it goes over 50% people flip out :lol:

what you need is one of those vests that they wear to keep cool before each moto in motocross

Ehhhh I'll pass on looking French, I'd rather keep my manhood :lol:

You didn't miss much buck, its the same up here in Ohio :shocked: Pops and I can't get a whole lot done with this heat and were thinning out our woods. That's great of you to help out your parents like that, I'm sure they appriciate it. You get the son of the year award :thumb:

James

Staff member
:lol: Like YD said, it was the same here this past week, think we actually broke our record high on Thursday. :bonk:

:thinking: That moto vest might be something I need to look in to. Went riding this morning to beat the heat and it was still 90+. :shocked::pout:

My parents decided to sell their house in FLA, and got all panicky about getting it perfect first. So In June I planned a trip down in the 3rd week of July to help them out as they are in their 80's and still try to do stuff they shouldn't be doing. I picked the hottest damn week in the world! I had to paint the house, replace a fence, replace a pump and pieces/parts on the pool thingy, completely re-do the landscaping,replace broken fans, etc, etc...

My head and face melted into a steaming pile the first day. Temp was "just 96" but with 80% humidity the heat index was in the 110's. And the sun is so much more...intense down here vs Ohio.

Here are my tips de jour on beating the heat that actually made it doable.

Get a 'boonie" hat, a thick white hand towel, and a quart ziplock bag. Put the towel on your head so it drapes over your ears and neck. Fill the quart bag with ice and punch some holes in it on one side. Put the bag on top of the towel on your head, holes down, and but the boonie hat on top of the ice to keep it secure. The ice melts into the towel and down your neck and back! It kicks ass! Sure, you look like Captain Poulet' of the French Foreign Legion, but who cares?

I was wearing a flexible elastic lifting belt when yanking out old fence posts and dead bushes. I went out and bought a half dozen of those blue, flexible plastic freezer paks that you use in coolers. I stuck a couple of those under the lifting belt around my kidney area. Wow! That made a huge difference! Change them out every 1/2 hour!

Thought I'd pass on my "beat the heat" McGyver's this week. I would not have gotten done what I did without them.

Optional beer cooling tip: In order to get enough H2O in you, but still manage to keep down the population of beers in the fridge, I got a 24 oz insulated cup filled with ice and water. My rule was that you drink half the water, and drink a cold beer. You put your next beer in the half empty ice water cup to keep it cold. Before you can drink the next frosty malted goodness, you had to drink the ice water it was sitting in. This maintains a nice one to one relationship, prevents cheating, manages local beer populations, and keeps you from falling over from dehydration.

I lost 12 lbs this week. :thinking:

:thumb:

What a non-floridian :lol: