Barstow Copper City Ride - TurtleShifter/Timoyz Style

Ok, so Jeff (Bolt) and I were putting together a last minute ride out in Copper City. I went to lunch with my favorite two compadres, Palmoer and REZ:hug:, when Palmer mentioned Tim was heading out there as well. So I got in touch with Tim and he decided to join in. Jeff posted the ride on the Riders website and 3 guys from that forum decided to join in as well. Well, this is just turning into a salami fest now isn't it:whistle:. On the way to the Denny's in the Outlet stores where we were to meet for some grub before the torture began (Tim and I were the only ones that new what was in store for the other "victims"):devil: Jeff called and had come down with the Hunta/Mad Cow/Hoof in Feet virus and was not gonna be able to make the ride:puke:So we met up with the other 3 riders from Riders and headed off to the staging area.

I don't do pictures so video is all I will be able to contribute. I think I saw Tim with a camera so Tim, if you got'm, post'm.

There are 2 washes I like to do out in this "area". 1 is a dead end but I like to do it as a "primer" for the 2nd one. I tell them this one just dead ends but is prolly harder than the next one so if this isn't a problem, were good to go. Ok, so lying at this point is just for motivational purposes only and shouldn't be construed as something I do on a regular basis............unless it is needed:wink:

Dead end wash:

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_annotate?v=3I9-br-lkAI&o=U&feature=vm

This video is the beginning of the 2nd wash which is longer and offers a way out. I have been going up this for a few years and only last year did i venture up far enough to connect the "trail" to make it a loop. That will be in other videos to be shown.

I will have to deduct 2 points for my nose high landing. The correct line is actually to the right. I remembered this but not until it was too late and the motto is when in doubt, just gas it :rocker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVQ3QDOaD6U

I waited at this section to make sure the sweep knew which way to turn. He was struggling a little bit and if he made a left, if would be a few hundred yards of fairly difficult manuvering only to end up having to turn around. And as you can see, turning a bike around in these "washes":jawdrop: isn't the easiest thing to do. As you can see from this video, this section is a little bit tight :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIXwHYhp7fQ

I apparently screwed up the on/off of the video as I missed the next section going up about a 2-3' step up followed by a 20-30' loose dg type hill climb that gave a couple riders (on KTM's) fits. Oh, by the way, Tim and I were on WR's:thumb: So, Ryan (very good rider) took off up this rocky outcropping that gave Tim a bit of trouble last time we visited this area. Well, did I say a bit, there goes that lying thing again:lol:. So, I decided to give it ago.

Before I populate this with the video, let's take a step back for a moment a few days before the ride. I switched out my bars and have the threaded inserts for my handguards. Well, you red loctite the threaded inserts into your bars. So Icouldn't get them out so I ordered another pair. They said they would be here before the weekend, no problem. So I switched out my bars and tossed the others in the trash and trash day came and went:picard: Hey, ride day is here.....no bar inserts. I also realize I dont have any grip glue as I usually dont need it as the handguards hold the grips on....so I take off on the hill climb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55-cIbcdgU

Damn it:doh:

So after we all make it to the top of the "get out of the damn wash" point we can start the "it's all down hill from here" part of the loop. The nice thing about this loop is you are never more than about 3 miles from the staging area. BUT, there is only 1 way to get in and out of the area and we are doing it. Once you are out of the wash and on top, you can't cut across left or right and try to get out. Trust me, we tried. It was getting close to dark one time we did this and we spent over an hour trying. You can literraly see the trucks in the distance but you can't get there without going back down the same way. You would get stuck by cliffs or other washes that had too big of waterfalls, like the dead end one.

So, this is the last video as I am an idiot and can't figure out yet when the camera needs to have the battery switched out. Oh, I have a second battery, again, I'm an idiot. But Tim keeps following me on this ride and says it beats the shit out of him so who is the BIGGER idiot:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXyqQCNdzw

Until next time....oh, i'm riding Friday:wave:

Hard to tell cause we don't ride no fire roads:poke::cheers: J/K We were up there on Saturday.

Where do you stage at?
We go in to a place just before the road starts in through the hills, probably a couple miles off of Irwin Road. I used to go all the way to the top by the Joshua Trees but that seemed like a long haul to get up there. Besides, between those two spots there are a lot of nice trails that head north west from the road, single track too I tell ya. :prof: We kept heading up to the west of the radar station on nice trails, to me that is. :thumb: