At The *Numbered* Signpost Ahead, The Twilight Zone

Forecast called for nice weather in the dez, so headed out.
singletrack to nowhere
6-13-1.jpg

Danger?? What? Where? Damn it!!
6-13-2.jpg

Late in the season for desert tortoise, but there he was
6-13-3.jpg

This is where the signposts started. Even though money is tight, BLM went to town in the Hinkley / Kramer Hills / Harper Lake / Fremont Peak area. They signed pretty much every trail out there.

Starting with Kramer Hills area
6-13-4.jpg

6-13-5.jpg

Slight detour for the garage sale, never pass one up
6-13-6.jpg

Off to Harper Lake area, more numbered trails
6-13-7.jpg

6-13-9.jpg

6-13-10.jpg

Ok, guess how many people ride trail 5258? One, me, maybe once a year. At one time a mine trail - about a hundred years ago, now it's not even a trail. This area isn't a very popular riding area, probably me and a half dozen other guys actually ride here, and 5258 is, well, non existent. Hot, dry, and more sidewinders than any other place I have ridden. Seriously BLM, WTF??
6-13-8.jpg

5300 is actually a railroad service road, figured that would make it private property, but now its signed.
6-13-12.jpg

Out with the old - the only original signed trail in the area
6-13-13.jpg

In with the new
6-13-14.jpg

Next day, off to Cal City area, and yes, the trail marker dudes had been here as well
6-13-15.jpg

Last bit of green left in the desert
6-13-16.jpg

6-13-17.jpg

Yep, more signed trails
6-13-19.jpg

One of the trails to the hilltop bunker, yes they are all now numbered
6-13-20.jpg

It started getting real hot, time to relax in the shade, drinks, snacks, a good murder mystery novel, and a great view
6-13-21.jpg

It was friggin' hot, desert tortoise number 2 uses my truck for shade
6-13-18.jpg

Off to Horned Toad Hills, going up in elevation didn't result in cooler weather
6-13-22.jpg

On the way down, desert tortoise number 3
6-13-23.jpg

Checking out the canyons, zero wind, felt like a blast furnace
6-13-24.jpg

6-13-25.jpg

6-13-26.jpg

6-13-27.jpg

Sunset
6-13-28.jpg

Nice RR Agent. :thumb: I may try to get out there this weekend early in the morning for a couple of hours. I am not sure where some of these places are but I do know Fremont.

Was wondering where the hell you have been. Were you out with hiding in the shade with the tortoises?:devil: Good report and pics as well. BTW, didn't you get the memo. It's F**king hot out there this time of year.:shocked:Time to come up and visit me.:thumb:

Nice.:thumb: When I rode to the Husky through Black Canyon with Sawyer, it had been a while since I was through there, and was wondering how long they've been up. I need to plan me a overnighter to Harper, and check out some of them thar trails. It would also be a good staging spot for the newly off limits area that I love so much. :devil:

Nice.:thumb: When I rode to the Husky through Black Canyon with Sawyer, it had been a while since I was through there, and was wondering how long they've been up. I need to plan me a overnighter to Harper, and check out some of them thar trails. It would also be a good staging spot for the newly off limits area that I love so much. :devil:
:thinking: Need a sweep rider?