Are my wheels interchangeable?

I have an old 70s Honda trials TL125. I'm looking to rebuild it but I want to modernize it. Will newer model wheels and tires fit on it or no? And also, can I get modern aftermarket parts and plastics? Where? Can I get some more info please? Thanx!

I have an old 70s Honda trials TL125. I'm looking to rebuild it but I want to modernize it. Will newer model wheels and tires fit on it or no? And also, can I get modern aftermarket parts and plastics? Where? Can I get some more info please? Thanx!

Welcome!!
You can always have new wheels built there may even be a modern equivelant. Tires shouldn't be a problem as any tire warehouse or supplier will have them it can get them. Post up some pics of that scooter!:thumb:

Thanx guys. All helpful! I just mainly wanna modernize this thing a little is all. Any1 have any specific site for upgrades or conversions?

Start with going on to a parts site and check wheel bearing numbers. That tips you to the easiest wheel swaps.

I think I would start by looking at steering stem bearings and see what would go on easily to upgrade the suspension.
I have another question. This factory 125 is only pushing around 4-8hp. Is there any newer 125s that I can just swap and bolt directly in?

Your best bet is probably a fresher bike. Yours if complete and clean has some appeal. How much power do you think you want? An xr 200 engine or xl185 would be simple but unless you find a running engine cheap the price may mot appeal to you

500 dollars mixed with patience can get you started With Something you can ride and fix as you go. Old mx bikes and trail bikes in the 250-350 size ranges can be tracked down where I live. You need to pla. Need to plan on spending some money as you go tho. It would yield something more satisfactory in the end though.

I think mine is pretty much a complete resto. Engine seized, needs tires, needs brake and clutch handles and cables, needs brakes, carb is trash, exhaust is trash, seat is garbage, tank is rusty, ... Is it even worth it or should I just shop for something else?

It would be a great restoration for someone who had a soft spot for one. Just come up with an idea of how much hp you need to have fun currently and see if you can get a test rude or two and go from there. The TL series was loosely based on a segment of the sport called "observed trials". Or just "trials" to most. Trying to turn that into something that feels like a race bike ir even a play racer won't work for most.

What kinds of riding have you done so far?

All I've done is ride on a gravel rode in my brothers old Honda. .. Chris TL was given to me n I just wanted to fix to have something to ride. .. I'm thinking tho maybe it's too much work to just ride

All I've done is ride on a gravel rode in my brothers old Honda. .. Chris TL was given to me n I just wanted to fix to have something to ride. .. I'm thinking tho maybe it's too much work to just ride

That's a resto job and for someone who will appreciate it and the work that went into it. That you wouldn't appreciate it but since you are new to riding you will probably get anxious and frustrated with the amount of time you'll have to dedicate to it. Go get an xr100 and play with that for a while. Once you're hooked on dirtbikes then you can really sink your teeth into it.