Anybody have duck experience?

I don't have any specific questions to ask, but I added the newest addition to my family a couple days ago but I know virtually nothing about ducks, yet alone ducklings! /: The guy at the feed store I bought him from hooked me up with a cage, heat lamp, shavings for the cage, 3lbs of food and a pin. But I totally forgot to ask how old the duckling is, and how long he's going to need the heat lamp. I honestly haven't really been using it except for after he gets in the water and turn it back off when he dries off. It's never cold in my house(never below 75 at night and during the day we don't turn on the AC so its about 90 in the house) and the man at the feed store said since of the crazy hot weather we have he should be fine without it.
So basically I just want some general information on owning a duckling, what to expect as he gets older, when it is okay to completely rid the heat lamp, when I can start giving him worms/feeder fish(he's already eating little ants off the ground when we play in the yard lol) and if any of you can tell me about how old he is from the picture I'm going to provide that would be awesome! I don't know if this helps but on his tail his fluff is starting to look like its turning into little baby feathers(kinda looks like a split end on human hair lol)
Also sorry about the long post, I just want to know anything and everything I should know to keep him as comfortable as possible, he's my little baby and I've already fallen in love with him.
Btw, his name is Henry :)
575499_10151578900059207_469881769_n.jpg

James

Staff member
Don't know anything about ducks but I do have Mallards that use my yard as a pit stop whenever they're going by. Either that or they're visiting the squirrel that likes hanging out in the tree in my front yard. :noidea: