250 Another "SICK KX250" build!

I read the other thread the other day and figured I would start my own!

A little hstory:

I have always loved the Green bikes and when my son first started riding back in 2005, I bought a 1997 KX 250 to ride with him. I eventually sold it and got into rock crawlers, UTV's, and everything else. Then, when I moved to the desert, I found another 1997 KX250 that was an ex-motocross bike (as in raced). I picked it up for $750 and rode the hell out of it for a couple of years. I added an IMS desert tank, bark busters, ASV levers, new tires, and all the usual goodies to ride in the desert with my son on his 1996 KX125.

Last year (2015) we raced my 1970 Husqvarna 400 Cross at the NORRA 1000 and took the KX down as a chase bike. Unfortunately, a friend of mine had mixed some Autozone 2-stroke oil in the gas, so I blew it up.

By this time I lived in North Carolina and the bike was at my sons house in EL Paso. I decided to have the old girl shipped out, and build a KX300 for my son to race in the 2016 Norra 1000 since we were taking the Husky back down.

Ok, enough of the Chit Chat....

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg I loved the look of the black chassis, so I had it powder coated matte black. I also ordered a Scotts stabilizer stem to swap it off my hare scramble bike.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Line I said, this is my favorite bike, so I decided to spend the money to make it awesome. New radiators and hoses, plastics, number plates, black Warp 9 wheels with green hubs, and Dunlop tired (rear 606 dual sport) and bib mousse tubes.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg I thought we had just blown the top end, but when I got the engine apart, I found the rod bearing was toast. After thinking about what to do, I called Kustom Kraft and ordered a KX300 kit and sent the the rod and crank to get fixed.

New 300 kit and bottom end assembly

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Everything was cleaned, inspected, and replaced as necessary. I also changed the gearing to something a little more friendly in the desert. (15/48 I think). Added Cycra hand gaurds and started the reassembly. I cleaned the 19 year old air box of tons of oily dirt and nastiness! New swing arm bearings and chain.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg New FMF pipe and I fixed and repacked the FMF silencer. Found a hardly used Moose clutch and a new Boysen cover. Lol

Last edited:
Every thing is going together great! I'm assembling the engine this week, and once I get the carb cleaned up and re-jetted, I should be blowing smoke and popping wheelies real soon!

Then it's off to Mexico to race it 1300 miles!!

I'm a much bigger fan of off road builds than I am MX builds, usually quite a bit more than sikk graphics goes into turning a motocrosser into a cross country bike.
Good work, she looks good for an old girl.

Thanks man!

This is my first Moto build ever. My buddy built my Husky 400...not because I couldn't, but it worked out that way since the bike was in Phoenix.

I never was in to MX, other than watching it, desert racing has been my thing. Same for my 15 year old. Raced as a 6 year old, but really just wanted to ride. Then he did his first 100 mile desert race at 12 years old on his KX100!! Now he races his 250F out west.

He is the rider of record on the kx300, so him, myself (on the Husky) and one of my best friends (on his KTM 500) will all take off from Ensenada next month!!

Functional, clean and mean. I'm not a fan either of the graphics swaps or the hang as many shiny parts as we can "builds" you've obviously have put some thought into this and I'm really diggin' the clean look. Keep the updates coming. and welcome to DBA.

I am really curious as to whether you run into vibration problems and how you like the "lined" cylinder or if Kustom Kraft is building aluminum plated cylinders now.