Android GPS and comm systems.

has anyone tried the back country GPS app?
Seems like with a generic smart phone bar mount and a 12v line to keep the bugger charged this would be the perfect solution.

Also, I have been looking into snap on bluetooth comm systems.
Looking for one that can communicate with just about any other brand, and decent noise canceling quality.

Any thoughts?

has anyone tried the back country GPS app?
Seems like with a generic smart phone bar mount and a 12v line to keep the bugger charged this would be the perfect solution.

Also, I have been looking into snap on bluetooth comm systems.
Looking for one that can communicate with just about any other brand, and decent noise canceling quality.

Any thoughts?
Cell reception is spotty at Tahuya, verizon is by far the best though

I would imagine that we are talking about using a phone while it's not connected to the cell networks.

Most phones need 5 volts, not 12. If you have DC available a car USB charger would work.

The main problem with a phone is the lack of mechanical robustness. Few can deal with water at all. They can be cheap though. I've got an old LG Optimus that I can experiment with. They are about $25 on eBay. You can get some decent no contract new ones with Android 4.0 or higher for as low a $30, so if they get killed on the trail it's no biggie. Sure a lot less $$$ than the Garmin 60GSx that I have.

So far I've only used the GPS logging on a cell. Works pretty well. Most mapping apps I've seen are not so good in a non connected mode, but I've not looked for a while and there may well be something out there. Anyone looked specifically for an app like this?

One issue with bluetooth is limited range by design. Just don't think it's the best solution on a dirt bike.

I was considering putting a ram mount on the handlebars but now you mention it, I'd really hate myself if I dropped it in water.
Actually, the tablet would be the least of my worries.
I'd probably put it in a baggie, then lock it down.
It would be too easy to go from a adventure ride to real life survival without a map to get home.
Even just leaving it in the backpack for occasional reference would work.
I ordered a SPOT for emergencies, but would be massively embarrassed if had to use it for being freaking lost.
Wow, death just might be better.. J/K

I usually don't take my "real" phone while riding. I have a that $25 android LG Optimus that I have a no data plan that costs $30/year. It's smashable, dunkable, etc. with little regret It does GPS recording just fine. I first got it a backup, but now it's my riding phone.

That's something I haven't even thought about.
I've had a Nexus7 in the backpack last few rides. Have topos downloaded, so it's just a fancy paper map.
I'm not doing any aggressive riding with the 40# pack and rear bag, but all it takes is a root at the bottom of a 1 1/2' puddle to really mess with your day.

Ok, so what about android GPS apps?

I've tried all the free ones, and now know why they are free.

Don't mind paying for one as long as it works.

There's a couple that work offline, just off satellite GPS and topos on memory card.

I think the Nexus 7 is tough enough, especially if it's insulated by the otter defender, and it's warranty is good until October anyway.