Pro AMA Bringing Back the Semi Finals

It looks like the AMA has decided to bring back the Semi Finals to the 2014 Supercross season. Also adding 2 more riders to the main events.

http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/pdf/2014/Bulletins/AMA_Bulletin SX 2014.01 Ver2 Rule Changes.pdf

22 racers in both mains

FreePractices
 TimedQualifyingPractices
 TwoHeatRaces
 Two Semi Races
 OneLastChanceQualifier
 One Final (Main event)
b. In the Heat Races, 1st through 4th will advance to the Main event; 5th through 20th will advance to a Semi.
c. In the Semi, 1st through 5th will advance to the Main Event. 6th through 16th will advance to the Last Chance Qualifier.
d. In the Last Chance Qualifier, 1st through 4th will advance to the main. The 450SX class Main Event will be 20 laps.
e. The first rider across the finish line at the conclusion of a race is the winner.
f. The two Heat Races, Semi’s, Last Chance Qualifier and the Final (Main Event) may also be referred to as "the evening program". g. A Heat Race, Semi, Last Chance Qualifier or the Final (Main Event) may also be referred to as "Race(s)".

It looks like the AMA has decided to bring back the Semi Finals to the 2014 Supercross season. Also adding 2 more riders to the main events.

http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/pdf/2014/Bulletins/AMA_Bulletin SX 2014.01 Ver2 Rule Changes.pdf

22 racers in both mains

FreePractices
 TimedQualifyingPractices
 TwoHeatRaces
 Two Semi Races
 OneLastChanceQualifier
 One Final (Main event)
b. In the Heat Races, 1st through 4th will advance to the Main event; 5th through 20th will advance to a Semi.
c. In the Semi, 1st through 5th will advance to the Main Event. 6th through 16th will advance to the Last Chance Qualifier.
d. In the Last Chance Qualifier, 1st through 4th will advance to the main. The 450SX class Main Event will be 20 laps.
e. The first rider across the finish line at the conclusion of a race is the winner.
f. The two Heat Races, Semi’s, Last Chance Qualifier and the Final (Main Event) may also be referred to as "the evening program". g. A Heat Race, Semi, Last Chance Qualifier or the Final (Main Event) may also be referred to as "Race(s)".

Just in case one of the big 5 are having a bad day....... I love how the factories lobby the AMA..

Just in case one of the big 5 are having a bad day....... I love how the factories lobby the AMA..
Yeah but didn't they have that stupid rule that they could use once that would automatically put them into the Final? Don't know if that was still around.

We'll see how this goes but maybe this gives the non-factory guys a better chance to make it to the Finals. The additional 2 riders in the Final is one one for that.

This will make the program longer. We will see how this plays out. You now get 2 chances to get into the main which could help the privateers.

Yeah but didn't they have that stupid rule that they could use once that would automatically put them into the Final? Don't know if that was still around.

We'll see how this goes but maybe this gives the non-factory guys a better chance to make it to the Finals. The additional 2 riders in the Final is one one for that.

correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there a few occasions where factory guys didn't make the mains because of LCQ pileups.... :thinking:
And you are right though.... this will help get at least 2 more privateers get to the main event most of the time...

correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there a few occasions where factory guys didn't make the mains because of LCQ pileups.... :thinking:
And you are right though.... this will help get at least 2 more privateers get to the main event most of the time...
Might have been and maybe they got rid of the rule, but I thought there was a exemption (maybe 1 time, I don't know) that if you were in the top 10, and didn't qualify for the main, you could use some sort of special exemption. Does that sound familiar? :thinking:

James

Staff member
Might have been and maybe they got rid of the rule, but I thought there was a exemption (maybe 1 time, I don't know) that if you were in the top 10, and didn't qualify for the main, you could use some sort of special exemption. Does that sound familiar? :thinking:

You're thinking of NASCAR... :whistle:

You're thinking of NASCAR... :whistle:
No I'm not dad:finger:

It must have started in the 2008 seson but I don't know if it is still going on.
6. Supercross Races
d. A Supercross rider in the Top 10 in points from the present season that fails to qualify out of a Heat or LCQ can be placed on the 21st gate pick for the Main Event. This special advancement will only be given to a rider in the Top 10 in points and may only be used twice in the 2008 season.

:thinking: now that you mentioned it I think there may have been some rule or atleast the idea was thrown at the AMA to allow the previous race's red plate to automatically get 1st gate pick.... :noidea: