Air Filter- 2003 Honda XR100r

When I bought my bike a few months ago it did not have the manual with it. I can't seem to find one online. The question I have is about cleaning the air filter. I need to learn how to do all this myself, just less stress on my husband to have to keep up 3 bikes. I know where the filter is and how to get it out. My question is on HOW to clean it.

Sorry for such a simple question, but I'd rather learn to do as much as possible myself.

Thanks!!

Depending on what was used for the original oil, there are oil filter cleaner kits UNI sells one. Or if you are into El Natural there is No-Toil. However, no-toil will not clean a standard oiled filter. You have to start with a clean dry one. For you, I would get the UNI kit and an additional filter for the bike so you don't have to wait for air dry time.
Me:
I use old gas in a 5 gallon bucket, have 2-3 filters per bike and use a Bell Ray or other type of oil.
If you go with no-toil, just get the oil and the grease, the cleaner is actually just oxi-clean and you can get that cheaper than the price no-toil charges.

I agree with Palmer. There are a few cleaning kits out there and hot water and detergent will work as well. Me?----I have been doing what Palmer stated, using gas. Been doing it for over 40 years. I have a couple extra filters per bike as well and when they are looking worn I replace. I used the No-Toil once and it works well, but you will need a new clean filter to start off with using that.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I get the dirt off with dish soap and hot water in a zip-loc bag. It's still tacky when it comes out, but clean. Dry for a few hours and then a nice coat of air filter spray. -BIG DAN:thumb:

+1 roost for extra air filters, also cuts down on how often you have to clean them. I religiously clean my filters every ride. Clean with solvent, then dawn dish soap and cool water, naturally air dry and cover with bel Ray filter oil. Don't put too much oil on the filter or it will have trouble sucking air or it could suck oil into the carb itself. Light coat. I drizzle the oil on, rub it in with latex gloves and remove excess with paper towels. LET FILTER SIT FOR 12-24 hours to "dry"

Everyone has an opinion on what to clean with. Back in the Filtron days I used gasoline took it off between moto's (hell we could barely afford one filter) and washed and rinsed it in the same premix. went through a lot of pistons that first part of the first season i raced.

Things I learned along the way is that most of my friends wash too often, complicate the jetting, spend needlessly and still ruin pistons. But it gives them something to do. Until the the filter starts restricting airflow it will actually clean better if there is already some dirt on it, similar to an oil filter. Once it becomes restrictive though you will find particles being pulled through. You see fleet rigs with vacuum indicators in the path between the filter and the engine just for that purpose. To know when it will start passing excess particulate.

I don't like gas because too many people get careless about how they use it, but it cleans good. you need to rinse the filter multiple times in clean gas though, so it really isn't cost effective or sensible to me at least.
There are several good oils and there is really no reason not to use them. Notoil is said to ruin some others. Belray and oxi clean work pretty good, mineral based gear oil if you are on the cheap side.

+1 roost for extra air filters, also cuts down on how often you have to clean them. I religiously clean my filters every ride. Clean with solvent, then dawn dish soap and cool water, naturally air dry and cover with bel Ray filter oil. Don't put too much oil on the filter or it will have trouble sucking air or it could suck oil into the carb itself. Light coat. I drizzle the oil on, rub it in with latex gloves and remove excess with paper towels. LET FILTER SIT FOR 12-24 hours to "dry"

How do you test to see if your cleaning worked or not?