Aftermarket Gas tanks

I have a 2003 YZ 125 and would like to get an aftermarket fuel tank. I have been looking at the white oversized ones, so id be able to see excactly how much gas i have left. But i heard a story of someone that had a white gas tank, and whenever he would ride on hot days, his gas would turn to jelly... Would this happen to me if i got one? Or was it something in his gas? Or just a myth? :ride:

I had a 03 YZ250 and had the neutral color IMS tank on it for years with no issues, even riding in the 100+ degree temps of Southern California.

I also had a natural gas tank on my wr, The fuel never jelled up.
I have never heard this before and I don't think its actually possible.
Gas will start to evaporate when it gets really hot, Diesel fuel will gel when it gets really cold.
If his fuel was indeed turning to jelly it would be because something got in the fuel tank or there was something wrong with the fuel tank and the fuel was eating and dissolving the plastic.

Look at KTM they use those transparent tanks on their bikes, I've had a Clarke tank on my Suzuki for 9 years, wouldn't have anything else , so nice to be able to check gas level even when I'm riding.

I always wondered why people want black tanks. Your fuel definitely will be warmer, which is not considered a good thing when you are trying to get performance.

Last edited:
I always wondered whey people want black tanks. Your fuel definitely will be warmer, which is not considered a good thing when you are trying to get performance.

Cuz black is cool bro... :lol:

I can only figure because the transparent ones (in the old days) would start to turn yellow, etc. The stocker on my Berg is black and the subframe-tank is transparent.

I always wondered whey people want black tanks. Your fuel definitely will be warmer, which is not considered a good thing when you are trying to get performance.
I put a black IMS on #5jr because I liked the black look as it was replacing the stocker and did not want the clear one.

Cuz black is cool bro... :lol:

I can only figure because the transparent ones (in the old days) would start to turn yellow, etc. an understaThe stocker on my Berg is black and the subframe-tank is transparent.

I can understand money. I can understand wanting it to look stock. I just can't understand the people that pay for it just because of the color. Ugliest plastics and rims I have ever seen is dusty black. Matt black is maybe the only thing worse.

Last edited:
How much more gas do you need to hold? If 1.3 gallons more would work for you, Ascerbis makes an add-on "number plate" tank for that bike. It attaches where the front plate would be and comes off easy when you don't need it.