Adventures?

So recently I've been reading a lot of ride reports on another dirt bike forum (I know, I know it's naughty of me to do :naughty::smirk:). But main reason is that the site focuses on a different type of RR then here. It seems like their members enjoy doing more prolonged, high mileage, more secluded, "Adventure" style rides (Hope I didn't throw the forum under the bus :busted: :P).

I know myself and most of us have done multiple day trips before, as I have read multiple RR's about it, but all of which include the riders returning to camp before the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I love those types of trips. Going out for a great ride, coming back and then enjoying eating and bench racing with my friends and family. But perhaps all these other RR's I've been reading recently has sparked some interest in me that has gotten me curious. I wouldn't mind giving a overnight, camping and packing everything with us ride for once. I think it sounds like fun. Packing up a foldable tent/sleeping bag, food, supplies etc.

Has anyone ever done such a trip? If so, share your experiences. I would love to hear my fellow DBA pal's thoughts and stories about their trips, as opposed to reading some complete strangers stories :smirk: For those that haven't, is there a reason you don't like that style of riding?

Perhaps if others are interested, we could plan our own "Adventure". :smirk:

another dirt bike forum (
Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

My adventures have been with my family and friends. We pack up the hauler and head to the desert for 3-6 days. Use the hauler as base camp and explore the desert. My most recent adventure was 3 days and 2 nights in the Sierra National Forest with a group of friends - 289 miles were logged by a few of us that rode all 3 days. At this stage in my life I try to do as much as I can with my 2 boys and my wife.

Unlike another forum, I don't think it's a sin to mention various forums here on DBA.

:USA:

James

Staff member
So recently I've been reading a lot of ride reports on another dirt bike forum (I know, I know it's naughty of me to do :naughty::smirk:). But main reason is that the site focuses on a different type of RR then here. It seems like their members enjoy doing more prolonged, high mileage, more secluded, "Adventure" style rides (Hope I didn't throw the forum under the bus :busted: :P).

I know myself and most of us have done multiple day trips before, as I have read multiple RR's about it, but all of which include the riders returning to camp before the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I love those types of trips. Going out for a great ride, coming back and then enjoying eating and bench racing with my friends and family. But perhaps all these other RR's I've been reading recently has sparked some interest in me that has gotten me curious. I wouldn't mind giving a overnight, camping and packing everything with us ride for once. I think it sounds like fun. Packing up a foldable tent/sleeping bag, food, supplies etc.

Has anyone ever done such a trip? If so, share your experiences. I would love to hear my fellow DBA pal's thoughts and stories about their trips, as opposed to reading some complete strangers stories :smirk: For those that haven't, is there a reason you don't like that style of riding?

Perhaps if others are interested, we could plan our own "Adventure". :smirk:

"Adventure" is a good description of those rides. :thumb:

I think the biggest difference is that when you come back every evening you don't have to be loaded down with all your supplies and can ride more freely. However it is all about the adventure, I'd say go try it, I'm sure some others on here would go with you. :ride:

:thumb: Cool idea to go on an Adventure ride, but that is a lot gear to be hanging off your body or bike unless you are riding an "Adventure" bike and not a DS bike that is equipped that way. You can put in 250+ miles in a day before the sun goes down, so where is it that you are looking to go, that would require a sleep over in the middle of the desert?

I have been on adventures in Baja where we would pre-run miles of desert and sleep in the chase van on the side of the hwy and do it all again the next day. I would do this for a week straight before the Baja 500 or 1000.

As Rack said, I like putting in the miles all day and sitting around camp at night with friends and family talking about the adventure.

We have talked about a run from Big D's house to State line and back, but it just has not been put together yet.

LA-BtoV is coming up this Thanksgiving Weekend and you can do 250 miles of DS riding two days in a row that will take you all day. Start in Palmdale on Friday and end in Barstow that night, then start in Barstow the next day and another 250 miles into Vegas to ride your DS down Vegas Strip with a picture in front of the Vegas sign..:thumb:

If you are planning a ride, let us know and I am sure there will be some on here that would be interested in tagging alone, me included.

It looks like a fun thing to try once. Def. not my preference for usual outings though. I too am more of a go back to camp and hang out after the ride type of guy. Bad thing is that most of the light weight foldable gear and racks with saddle bags cost big money, so buying them for one trip is not worth it.

I've slowly been building up the items to do a ride like that.

I've done a modified version where you ride to your accommodations and then continue the next day. An example would be staying overnight in Primm. There is a place to stay in the Panamint valley that would work as well.

I've also been building up a kit to do motorcycle backpacking. About the only thing that I don't have is a small enough sleeping pad. A good resource is the ultralight backpacking websites. A lot of good ideas on how little you actually need. The only problem is dealing with all the stuff.

Cafe Husky! There is a couple that I road with in Baja back in 2008. We did a 240 a day, had a chase truck and spent the night in hotels. Anyway, this couple live in the Bay area and have big adventures on bikes. She rides a SM 610 with dirt tires and he rides the LC690. Weeks at a time the hit the back woods and roads an I always drool over how cool it is. Would love to do it, just not solo...

Well it looks like we might have enough interest to do a noob adventure ride lol Possibly a 2 day trip in the fall to get our feet wet. :thinking: rei has their huge member sales every month now, things up to 80% off...

The big things to carry is the tent right? But I'm thinking to go with an instant tent that files to the size of a windshield sun visor. Then get a small cheap folding sleeping bag from big 5 and a thin but firm folding yoga mat to sleep on. Or heck we could just ride to a motel lol I got little burners already for cooking.

Well it looks like we might have enough interest to do a noob adventure ride lol Possibly a 2 day trip in the fall to get our feet wet. :thinking: rei has their huge member sales every month now, things up to 80% off...

The big things to carry is the tent right? But I'm thinking to go with an instant tent that files to the size of a windshield sun visor. Then get a small cheap folding sleeping bag from big 5 and a thin but firm folding yoga mat to sleep on. Or heck we could just ride to a motel lol I got little burners already for cooking.

I say you just carry me and I'll bring all the essentials. If you can live as close as you did with Martin for 9 months, I'll be a breeze. :thinking:

:gayfight:

I propose a 6 day trip. Leave from Big Dans and ride to Primm. Spend the night, the next morning ride to Pahrump. stay there 5 days, and have an ambulance pick us up, and treat us for exhaution.:devil:

Now there is an idea.
However, I am in escrow on a house in Prescott AZ. we should be good to make it there after Primm.