125 99 kx 125, NEED HELP!!!

I bought a 99 kx 125 that needed a top end rebuild. So I did a top end rebuild and put other things in like power band, gaskets, impeller, propeller and etc. When I put it back together I started it up and it had compression, gas was flowing throughout the bike also. I rode it into 4th and 5th gear which felt the same as 3rd gear. When I rode it back I tried kicking it and it had no compression. So now im back where I started and need a top end rebuild, what else do I need to fix so it is back to normal? I also had another problem that might be relevant, when I started the bike and put it in first It would stall out like I never pulled the clutch in, which I was. Can anyone tell me what I need to fix?

Worn out clutch basket may be causing the engine to die.
The top end most likely went away due to excess heat from running it too hard right after the rebuild or it was not set up correctly with the correct clearances or the cylinder had excess wear or old fuel mix.

Paw Paw

What part number was the power band did you put in? I've been back and forth on which one to buy for my 125. I'm thinking Blue (medium) because it will provide moderate power. My friend George put a red one in there and that thang is fast! I dang near wet my waders when I cracked that throttle open for the first time. It's too bad George lost that bike in his divorce battle. I see George's ex ol lady's new boyfriend ridin that thing through the cow pastures from time to time. Boy oh boy I wish George's ex ol lady's new boyfriend would gimme one last ride. Anyhow! Hope to hear back from you on my power band question.

I nearly forgot to ask how well the new propeller helped with the flooded trails we often come across in the summer months. I installed a new propeller on my 125 and it helped drastically with water skimming. I could damn near skim all the way to Mexico since I did that upgrade.

What's the stroke of your Johnson rod?......if it's too short you can compensate by using a lifted 1 ton duelly with twin turbo power stroke and side stacks to haul your 125.....but other than that is sounds like it runs just like my girls 99 kx 125.

I bought a 99 kx 125 that needed a top end rebuild. So I did a top end rebuild and put other things in like power band, gaskets, impeller, propeller and etc. When I put it back together I started it up and it had compression, gas was flowing throughout the bike also. I rode it into 4th and 5th gear which felt the same as 3rd gear. When I rode it back I tried kicking it and it had no compression. So now im back where I started and need a top end rebuild, what else do I need to fix so it is back to normal? I also had another problem that might be relevant, when I started the bike and put it in first It would stall out like I never pulled the clutch in, which I was. Can anyone tell me what I need to fix?

I think I would be taking it apart again, MANUAL in hand and determine what parts are bad. The information you rolled out there really doesnt tell me anything useful. Sorry.

Same with the clutch. Start by making sure it is adjusted properly and go from there. If at least measuring the clutch springs to see if they are all of an equal length then you are not getting much out of a manual. Step one on any grabbing clutch ( after the adjustment).

Last edited:
I think I would be taking it apart again, MANUAL in hand and determine what parts are bad. The information you rolled out there really doesnt tell me anything useful. Sorry.

Same with the clutch. Start by making sure it is adjusted properly and go from there. If at least measuring the clutch springs to see if they are all of an equal length then you are not getting much out of a manual. Step one on any grabbing clutch ( after the adjustment).
Thx I figured out what was wrong, clip on the rings and piston scraped the cylinder, now I will need a new cylinder, piston and rings. Clutch problem i also figured out. My dirtbike should be all fixed up by the middle of next week.

Thx I figured out what was wrong, clip on the rings and piston scraped the cylinder, now I will need a new cylinder, piston and rings. Clutch problem i also figured out. My dirtbike should be all fixed up by the middle of next week.

Are you saying the circlip wasn't in right and came out?