97 RM 250 Wont start when hot

RM 250 wont start when hot

• Spark plug

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • carburetor

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Alright, so I brought my bike to a repair shop to get new piston and rings and reeds and the guy was a retard (we thought he was good at what he did he builds custom) we got the bike back and he did not have the head tightened down and I did not see intill coolant started leaking out of the top end. So I bought a new gasket put it on with the torque wrench. The bike took forever to start because of the coolant in the motor but I got it started and got all of that burnt out. When we got it started it the motor was knocking bad but when all the coolant was burnt out it does not do it bad anymore and it just does it in the high rmps. When we adjust the air screw and bring it to high the idle starts surging. So I have no idea right now on what to do. It runs pretty good now I got the idle just about perfect everything is good. When you ride it for a bit and shut it off it will not start no matter you change the plug or not you can barley get it to start off a bump start. If you want to hear the knocking then I can post a link to my youtube channel to hear it. You can hear the motor was bogging down in the high rpms but I just had to mess with the carb and it fixed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp--UT9sVlY&list=UU6hxqRh6Iep0Lla5l0JBXKQ

Honestly, I can't really follow where you are with this one.

Things to remember : Two strokes usually start better hot with the throttle open. Yours may be flooding hot. Set the float to factory specs and use the throttle as above.

Last edited:
So your carb was causing the bike to run bad, but you adjusted it now it runs ok but won't start hot, and it was leaking coolant into cylinder causing it to knock but now it doesn't, except at high rpm's....so what I'm hearing is your bikes motor knocks at high rpm and has a hot start problem.well if the knock is mechanical, and you'll find that out soon if the motor blows up, if it doesn't then it's probably ignition timing, causing it to ping, if the motor doesn't blow up, then you can fix the hot restart problem, which I would definitely start with ossagp's advice and check the float level, but also wouldn't be a bad idea to check the compression when the motor is hot.also check for a good coil spark when hot.

Good possibility, especially if this bike recently changed hands.

I would say a good carb cleaning is in order along with a jet spec. I've seen mains partially blocked with sediment. There's always the possibility of a vacuum leak as well.